Views
Helpful
Replies

Having trouble seting up PPTP with RV042

ProInfoTech
Level 1
Level 1

Hope this is in the right Community.

I'm trying to setup a PPTP VPN with a RV042 using this help page.

No, i've setup everything and the PPTP vpn connects fine without a glitch.

Problem is, unless the client PC is on the same ip range as the RV042, i can't access any of the servers, network printers or shared PCs. And even when it's on the same IP range, i can only acces those resources using their ip adress.

I think i need to set a route but so far i've had no luck.

Can someone help me with this issue?

Thanks. 

8 Replies 8

Michael Swenson
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Thanks for contacting Cisco,

When the PPTP client has a different IP subnet, the firewall on the servers, printers and PCs would need to have an exception for the remote network.

When the PPTP client is on the same network,  DNS request will not traverse the VPN.  You could edit the PC's LM host file on the PPTP client to include the IP address and name of the servers. If you have an internal DNS server, you could edit the PPTP client configuration to include the DNS server IP address

Best Regards,

Yes, the PPTP client is mostly on a different subnet, thing is, it's going through a 3G connexion that has a different IP address each time it connects. So if i setup an exception, i would need a static ip right?

The Firewall exception on the PCs / servers would be for the Private IP subnet for the PPTP Client.  Thus, you should be able to add the entire subnet as an exception.  When PPTP connects, the remote client get an IP address ( IPconfig in a command prompt will show you the IP address assigned to the PPTP connection).. This is the subnet to add the exception.

Best Regards,

Mike

Isn't there any other simpler solution?  The ISP has quite a few subnets and i will only know that it had changed untill the client is on a new one and can't access the servers no more. And then, it's going to be panic mode for client.  lol

If you are referring to the WAN IP changing on the RV042, then yes, you can set up a DynDNS account.  DynDNS is a service that will assign a name to the IP address and when the IP changes the service updates.  Thus, your clients can connect using the name and DYN DNS will manage the IP change.

http://dyn.com/remote-access/

Regards,

I was referring to the wan ip on the client PC, they have quite a few different IP range for their service... so, i could make an exception for the particular range the client had on that connect, doesn't meen the next connexion he will have the same IP range.

The WAN IP on the Client is not used.  When PPTP connects the Cleint will get a new PPTP IP address from the RV042.  This is the IP address that you device behind the RV042 must allow.

Oh, ok, but tell me this then.

Why is it working when the lan ip adress of the nic card on the client pc(remote site) is in the same range as the RV042 and not when it's going through the USB 3G connexion. if it's the lan IP given by the RV042 that mathers, then it should be blocked either way?