cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Odd RV042 behavior can someone help shed some light?

Italyouth105
Level 1
Level 1

We have a group of 4 x RV042 routers linking the 3 branch offices back to the head office via VPN site to site tunnels. Also each of the sites has dual ISP connection, one from a cable provider and the other a DSL connection operating in smart link backup mode with tunnels configured for when each wan is active. In the past week one of the branch offices RV042 started failing over to the secondary DSL WAN link when the primary cable ISP WAN IP was expired and was being refreshed.

The odd behavior starts a few hours after the switch over, the system log reports that the router restarted but with no error reported and it shows the date being December 31 2002 beginning with a System Up message then the firmware message which is at 1.3.12.19 and establishes a connection with the primary WAN at this point I can ping the public IP but I cannot connect to the router nor can the users at the branch browse the web or establish VPN connectivity to the main office. This condition persists until the router is physically powered down and back on at which time it shows the correct date and time and all operations work well for the day. I must note the behavior seems to only occur between 5am - 7am so I want to believe that this behavior is tied to the ISP IP lease cycle, but it only affects one branch office with all offices using identical ISP's, setup and configuration.

Can someone help make sense of this situation as rebooting the router each day is becoming annoying?

1 Reply 1

mpyhala
Level 7
Level 7

Hi Garth,

Thank you for posting. I wish I had a brilliant explanation for you that would immediately solve the problem. Unfortunately I have not seen this before. There is a possibility that the configuration file is corrupt or has been changed inadvertently. I think I would set the router to factory defaults and manually reconfigure it. There is also the option of swapping the router for another. If the other router does the same thing it could point to an environmental issue. If this router does the same thing at the alternate location it could point to either a configuration or hardware issue.