Views
Helpful
Replies

Poor Inter-VLAN Routing Performance on RV325

david.dowdy1
Level 1
Level 1

Hello Everyone,

I've been using an RV325 (firmware v1.3.2.02), and have recently configured a new file share appliance for the network.  I've noticed that file transfer speeds were way off (around 2-3MB/s from Windows 7/10 client systems), and began investigating.  Using the iperf utility, I've noticed some strange behavior regarding routing between VLANs.  With two servers connected directly to the router - one with a trunking port, and the other with an access port - I receive drastically different speed results based on which IP I use for the test.  The file share is running FreeBSD 10, while the other servers in my environment are running CentOS 6/7.

For example (all addresses changed to protect internal configuration details):

The trunked server has two IP addresses assigned (10.0.1.3/24, and 10.4.0.3/24), and the other server has 10.4.0.7/24.  If I run "iperf -s" on the trunked server, then "iperf -c 10.4.0.3" on the second server, I'll get times around 940Mbit/s.  If I use the other IP - "iperf -c 10.0.1.3", I'll drop to around 210Mbit/s.  I also have an SG220-26 that I've used for additional testing; moving the two devices to the switch, then configuring the RV325 to function more or less as a router-on-a-stick doesn't change the results in either direction.  Also, I've used a few other servers in the same subnet, and testing between them and other client systems shows similar results.  Am I hitting a throughput limitation of the RV325, or have I overlooked a critical setting somewhere?  Thanks!

0 Replies 0