Views
Helpful
Replies

Port Range Triggering on RVS4000

palisades
Level 1
Level 1

Hi,

I am trying add different ranges of ports provided by my VOIP provider but when entering in certain ranges that are higher than 50 I receive the error message "Forwarded range can not exceed 50".  My VOIP provider specifically asked that we use the range of numbers provided with port triggering...

Does anybody know of a way for me to correctly add ranges that higher than 50 or is this a router specific limitation and just time to upgrade?

Thanks in advance!

6 Replies 6

cchamorr
Level 5
Level 5

Hello, 

Before trying to answer your question I would like to find out what is the reason you are using port triggering? Normally, for this type of setup you will use port forwarding which will definitely allow you to create the range you are looking for.

Please let us know.

Our VOIP hosting company asked that we use port triggering to help with the following for our VOIP phones.  Opening the ports requested will:

-(These ports allow the phones to register)

-(These ports are used by the Softphones for message synchronization)

-(These ports carry voice traffic - the RTP streams)

-(These ports are for RC Meetings signaling)

-(These ports are used for initial phone provisioning)

-(This port allows NTP: date and time updates)

Thank you for the quick answer.

This all sounds like they made a mistake and should have said port forwarding as opposed to triggering. Is it possible for you to share the actual configurations you are trying to setup? That way we will know for sure, but my best guess is that you need port forwarding as this is the most common practice for this type of configuration.

I've tried port forwarding but it requires me to enter in an ip address to enable it and we have various VOIP phones throughout the office.  I can double check with our provider but I know they requested port triggering over forwarding.  Below are the ports:

5060-5099 UDP and TCP 

8000-8200 UDP only 

16384-65535 UDP only 

8801-8802 TCP only 

Port 80 and 443 TCP only Port 123 UDP only 

Thanks!

Hello, 

Thank you for the reply and I'm sorry I couldn't answer earlier.

With the last bit of information you provided I can finally see how you will need to configure Port Triggering, as there is no way for you to be able to forward the same ports to all the devices.

I'm not sure this will even work as it is an unsupported configuration, but it appears you ran into a limitation on the device where is asking you for ranges of only 50 ports.

Unfortunately I'm not aware of a workaround.

I'm sorry I couldn't be more helpful, maybe somebody else can join and give us their thoughts on the matter.

Hello,

Well it's good to know that there is a limitation as oppose to driving myself crazy trying to figure it out.  Sounds like we may need to upgrade our router...by any chance would you be able to point me in the right direction for a router that can handle adding the configurations provided and VOIP connections.  My office setup is pretty basic...25users max (internet browsing and voip are the most traffic we see) 

Thanks again for helping me with this issue!