cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

quickvpn unable to connect to rv220w on windows7 machine

bryans42a
Level 1
Level 1

I am unable to connect using quick vpn, I get the "remote gateway is not responding".  I called cisco tech support and they told me to uninstall Norton and use Windows firewall....I did and get the same message....I called back and they told me they couldn't help me.

Someone please help!

10 Replies 10

mpyhala
Level 7
Level 7

Hello bs struckman,

What version of Windows 7 do you have? (Pro, Ultimate) Did Small Business Support test and connect successfully to your router? Please go to Program Files ->Cisco Small Business -> QuickVPN and get the log.txt file. Scroll to the bottom and see if it shows "Failed to ping remote router" multiple times.

I have windows 7 home premium....I am able to connect on my friends

xp laptop

Yes it does show failed to ping several times

On your Windows 7 machine is the Windows Firewall Turned ON?  For QVPN to work correctly on WIN7 the

Windows firewall has to be turned on.  

In order for QuickVPN to work correctly please make sure that

IPsec Services & IKE Services are started and running. To check these setting you can go to start----run---services.msc or from your control panel---administrative tools----services. If they are not started please start them manually and make sure they stay on.

Also on the RV220W make sure under the Firewall settings that you disable the block fragmented packets feature and also disable the respond to ping on Internet.  Let me know if any of this helps.

THANKS

Windows firewall is on and IKE and IPSEc services are started.  I will have to check the router settings when I get back to the office.

Thanks

Hello,

If you can connect using Windows XP then I would have to say that the problem is with the Windows 7 PC. I have not seen any problems with Home Premium itself. This problem is almost always related to an antivirus or firewall software blocking ICMP (ping) from the remote subnet. In a few rare cases I have seen customers have to create a Windows firewall rule to allow ICMP in and out. Make sure that you have completely disabled or removed ALL third party security software. I will try to come up with some further tips if you still cannot connect. In the meantime, please provide the following:

1. LAN IP address of RV220W.
  2. LAN IP address of the router you are connecting from.
  3. Brand and model of Windows 7 PC.
  4. Is VPN Passthrough enabled on the router you are connecting from?
  5. Did you test the Windows XP PC from the same location as the Windows 7 PC?
  6. Have you plugged the Windows 7 PC directly into the modem to see if you can connect or tried to connect from a different location? This will rule out router#2 as the problem.

In some cases the only way to get connected is to do a clean install of Windows. This is the last resort of course and all troubleshooting steps should be exausted first. Please keep us posted.

I have unistalled Norton and set the windows firewall to its default settings and still now luck.

I have tried connect from home and from a wireless air card which is also what we used the xp machine on. I have also tried connecting from a hotel.

The IP address of my work router is 10.10.10.1 (I think) and the home is 192.168.1.1

I changed the setting on the router as you suggested and it still does not work.

It would probably be a good idea if you would call into our Cisco Small Business Support Center at 1-866-606-1866 and let us test the

QVPN from here using a Test Client Account setup by you.  We can try it from one of our WIN7 machines. That way we can see if we

are getting the same result as you are.

THANKS

Rick Roe

Cisco Small Business SUpport Center

Hi,

I also had trouble with QuickVPN on my rv220w and I called the number above. I was happily surprised when they solved my problem! I had my remote access set to port 8081 (similar to an older router), which caused all port 443 traffic to be blocked. They changed the remote access port back to the default 443. I just VPN'd in from a Win7 machine so it all works!

Thanks!

Austin

Austin,

Thank you for sharing that! The RV220W and RV120W require that remote management be enabled and using port 443 for QuickVPN to work. This is often overlooked since we are so used to troubleshooting the other models.