Views
Helpful
Replies

router rv325 content filter

spottedhoof
Level 1
Level 1

How to block youtube on cisco router rv325

I believe I've setup the content filter correctly, but the web site is still allowed in.

2 Replies 2

Philip D'Ath
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

*** oops *** mis-read it.  It looks activated to me.

kevyen
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Hello Spottedhoof, 

Thank you for using the Cisco Small Business forums! My name is Kevin, I am an eContent developer and I am part of the Small Business Support community.

May I ask what firmware version you are using? I'm currently using version 1.2.1.14 which is the most recent updated version that you can download here and it looks like you can enable HTTPS Filtering and select the different types of categories you want to block. I'll look into this as well and test this out! 

Otherwise, I think the reason why you can't block Youtube is because the content filtering mechanism is limited to keyword and looks at HTTP only.The next option that you can do is to block the sites' IP address but Youtube uses multitude of IP addresses so to block websites like Youtube, you would need to control the DNS request phase of the browsing rather than trying to stop specific traffic at layer 3. 

You can try using a service like OpenDNS which should help you block certain sites. I'm not too sure if this is what you are looking for.

Here are some additional information in a different forum posts that uses a different device but has similar problems:  

internet blocking feature doesnt work

rv215w dont block sites

I hope this helps! Let me know if you have any questions or concerns! 

Sincerely,

Kevin Yen

Cisco eContent Developer