Views
Helpful
Replies

RV042 and IPSEC VPN (Witopia)

solomanii
Level 1
Level 1

Hi guys,

I recently bought the RV042 to use with WITOPIA - a VPN provider.  I am a bit lost with the config.  On the VPN side I have a server name, login and password as well as a preshared key for IPSEC connectivty.  If I run the client from my PC it works fine but if I try and configure it on the router it wont connect.  I am not seeing anywhere to store a password in the interface.  I can setup the preshared key, server name and user name fine but there is nowhere for a password.

Any advice from people with more experience than me would be appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Te-Kai Liu
Level 7
Level 7

RV042 does not support xAuth for IPsec VPN, so you would have to disable the password option on Witopia and only use the preshared key for IPsec authentication.

View solution in original post

4 Replies 4

Te-Kai Liu
Level 7
Level 7

RV042 does not support xAuth for IPsec VPN, so you would have to disable the password option on Witopia and only use the preshared key for IPsec authentication.

Doh, you are right. And Witopia doesnt support router connections for IPSEC.  They do support PPTP, OpenVPN and L2TP but it looks like the 042 only supports IPSec?  Looking at the config I can setup the 042 as a PPTP server but not actually have it connect to a PPTP host.  But I am no expert in this so happy to be corrected.

If you want to connect two offices by a secure tunnel, e.g. an IPsec tunnel, you can deploy a RV042 router on both ends of the tunnel.

PPTP VPN is typically used for remote access to an office network from a remote user.

So I cant use the 042 to setup gateway to gateway connection?  Basically I am trying to get my AppleTV to sit on a VPN permanently using this router.  But it sounds like it only supports IPSec in this configuration which means its not going to work for me.

Thanks.