cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

RV042 DNS FAILED

fabinho.cunha
Level 1
Level 1

we have recently installed a RV042 V1.3 in our office and have been having a  very frustrating time with internet access. It appears to be a DNS issue and is  certainly the RV042 with the issue. When I connect directly or through our old  Linsys 54G the problem goes away.

There are many sites that simply return not found error.  This is intermittent sometimes a site is ok, other times not.

When I ping a site (for example right now I can not get to  google.com) it returns with error. However a nslookup returns the IP no problem.  Then half an hour later google will be ok and another address will have an  issue. Grabbing the IP from nslookup and using it instead of the domain name  results in fast and reliable internet access.

I noticed that this issue does not seem to be serious on  our windows pcs. Actually, the way I am writing this note is from windows within  my mac. Windows seems snappy and the mac browser crawls or simply 404s.

I have updated the firmware. Removed everything down to  bare-bones (Only using WAN1) to try an isolate the issue...tried static DNS  servers... but no luck.

I have done a lot of searching online and have come across  others with the same issue however no solution.

I consider myself quite competent with this type of thing  and am coming here after a lot of research and trying various things. I feel  that I have tried everything and am about to get rid of the router - this is my  last resort.

Any ideas?

3 Replies 3

mpyhala
Level 7
Level 7

Hi Fabio,

Thank you for posting. I recall dealing with this issue some time ago and I think that it was related to a firmware update on the RV0xx routers. If I recall correctly rolling back the firmware to an older version may resolve this. Other than that, please answer the following:

1. What type of internet connection do you have?
  2. What is the MTU set at on the router WAN port?
  3. What version of Mac OS is having the issues?
  4. Does the RV042 have the latest available firmware now? (v1.3.13.02)

I will look into this some more and see if I can find a definite answer for you.

Hi mpyhala,

This problem also occurs in the previous firmware.

1. What type of internet connection do you have?  = Cable Modem(WAN1) / ADSL(WAN2)
  2. What is the MTU set at on the router WAN port? = 1500
  3. What version of Mac OS is having the issues? =  10.6
  4. Does the RV042 have the latest available firmware now? (v1.3.13.02) =                  1.3.13.02-tm  (Jan 28 2011 18:39:04)

thank you for attention

1. What type of internet connection do you have?
  2. What is the MTU set at on the router WAN port?
  3. What version of Mac OS is having the issues?
  4. Does the RV042 have the latest available firmware now? (v1.3.13.02)

I will look into this some more and see if I can find a definite answer for you.

Try RV042 firmware 1.3.12.6-tm as a temporary workaround.