Views
Helpful
Replies

RV042G port/bandwidth configuration

mike.lischke
Level 1
Level 1

Hi,

I'm in the process of setting up my new router to help me managing internet connections for various devices, but I'm not sure I fully understand what to configure where.

What I want is essentially this: all machines in the household (>10) should use WAN1 for any internet activity, except for 2 machines that always use WAN2 (these are my work machines that need special priority as I often have large down/uploads with them). But there are exceptions: big downloads should go via WAN2 (the satellite connection) if WAN1 is saturated to a specific percentage and interactive services (RDP, SSH, Telnet etc.) as well as DNS should always go via WAN1. This way my work machines can take advantage for things that need low network latency and the other machines for things that need high bandwidth on demand.

I see a special problem with HTTP because for quick browsing you'd need low latency (hence use the DSL line) but for big downloads via HTTP you'd need the other line. I have no idea how to define a rule for this special scenario.

Another question is: can I use Mac addresses instead of IP addresses? Would help to avoid having to set fixed IP addresses (especially for a mixed IPv4/IPv6 setup)?

Thank you,

Mike

0 Replies 0