cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

RV042G route client traffic over tunnel

turbo2ltr
Level 1
Level 1

I have two RV042 (one in PA and one in AZ) with a tunnel between them. They work great.

I have one employee that works from home occasionally.  I set up the VPN on her laptop.  She can log in to the VPN in PA and has full access to that subnet.  But she cannot access the machines on the AZ subnet through the gateway to gateway tunnel.

I did a tracert and found (as expected after I thought about it) that the laptop was routing traffic for the AZ subnet out the local gateway instead of through QuickVPN since it is outside of the VPN's subnet. Though oddly, I found if I tracert a pingable computer on the PA subnet from the laptop, all I get is a bunch (14)  "request Timed out" with a final hop to the pinged IP working.

I attempted to add a static route for but that doesn't seem to work either.  I used the AZ subnet as the destination and forwarded it to the PA routers local IP (1.1) which is pingable.

Any thoughts? Is there a way to do this without having to create two different QuickVPN connections?  The issue is she has to RDP into machines in both locations and switches back and forth frequently.  So to have to take down and set up the VPN each time she wants to switch would pretty much defeat the purpose..

I found a similar question on here https://supportforums.cisco.com/discussion/11000021/can-i-push-static-route-quickvpn  but no replies..

Thanks,

Mike

1 Reply 1

Jeff Gindall
Level 1
Level 1

I know it's not the most secure, but perhaps test this using a simple PPTP VPN connection instead of QuickVPN, making sure you enable the PPTP connection to be used as default gateway on the client. Then you'll know whether it has anything to do with QuickVPN. I recall having done with the RV042 what you attempt to do, and it worked over a PPTP set as default on the client. However, note that multiple subnets per tunnel does not work on the RV042, i.e. if you add another local subnet on either side, you'd need a second tunnel for that.