Views
Helpful
Replies

RV082 Firewall issue / Firmware upgrade

TolucaDiablo
Level 1
Level 1

Hello,

I have a RV082 Router and I think it is blocking some websites on all my new Windows 8 computers.  Two of websites that the router is blocking but are needed for my business are:

https://omx.ordermotion.com/en/console.asp (order management system)

https://ezlmappdc1.adp.com/ezLaborManagerNet/Login/Login.aspx?cID=71908&lng=en-US (ADP payroll)

I know the router is blocking them because the system log records "Connection Refused - Policy Violation" whenever we try to access those sites from those computers. Also, if I disable the ethernet adapter/connection and use wireless adapter to connect to a free Wi-Fi connection we have access to via TimeWarnerCable, then we are able to access the websites.

With that said, the router's firmware has not been upgraded in years. The version that it has is 1.3.3.5.

- Could this be a reason why the router is blocking some websites?

- Is it safe to perform the firmware upgrade to the latest version 4.2.3.06? Or should the upgrade be progressive?

Any help would be greatly appreciated!!

Thanks

Eduardo

3 Replies 3

Michael Swenson
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Hello,

The RV082 should not be blocking anything outbound like web site access.  You may have an ACL the is blocking.  You could temporally disable the ACLs to test.

Also, the later version of firmware are built for the version # hardware RV082.  You can look at the label of your device for V3 next to the model number.  If you have a V1 or V2, you will not be able to upgrade firmware.

If you do have V3 hardware, then you should be able to jump to the latest version of firmware.

Best Regards

Mike

Hi Mike -

Thanks for your help. I agree that the RV082 is not blocking anything outbound. I've pinged the domain and get a response. However for all new computers with Windows 8.1, it seems to be blocking the response back from the domain. When trying to access the website, the page is stuck loading. I've tried using IE11, Chrome, and Firefox, but none of these browsers work. 

The new computers have the following:

IE: Version 11.0.9600.17631
Chrome: Version 42.0.2311.152 m
Firefox: Version 38.0.1

The access rules that I have enabled are the default ones. These are the settings: 

I've disabled each of the settings to test it and it only works when I disable the firewall completely. I've also added the website in the Trusted Domains but nothing happens. 

That's why I was thinking the problem could be related to the firmware version that I have.

I'm not sure what else to try to fix this issue. Any other suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Regards,

Eduardo

Hi, but the lastest firmware not show the legend of V3 required. For example:

Lastest version 4 firmware:

Description
RV042, RV042G, RV082, RV016 firmware 4.2.3.06

Version 4.1.0.02:

Description
RV042, RV082, RV016 firmware 4.1.0.02-tm (V3 hardware required)

So may I update my version 1-2 HW to this firmware? There's no such (V3 hardware required).... but I don't want a brick too.....
Thanks!