Views
Helpful
Replies

RV082 with Actiontec DSL

rlucken6391
Level 1
Level 1

Experts,

I have read quite a few threads on how to configure the RV082 with a DSL modem.  I have set the modem to "Transparent Bridge", have entered the PPPoE data in the Cisco RV082, but can't get an internet connection with the RV082.  I end up resetting the DSL back to default, and changing the WAN connection back to Auto on the router.  Is there some trick?  I have power cycled the RV082 (mentioned as a step in one of the threads I read), but that doesn't work either.  If I can't get the internet connection, then I can't move forward with configuring, and enabling the vpn service that I need to set up.  Does anyone have any other tips? 

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Rustin,

You might want to call your ISP for i am not complete sure on how to bridge that device. You can use GOOGLE and search for your modems model number and what you're trying to accomplish before calling your ISP. Generally alot of blogs out there with customers that are trying to accomplish the same thing.

Depending on the modems model, it might only support Transparent bridge mode, while letting the modem do the authentication to the service provider and setting our router to (Static IP) putting in a public ip address ,subnet mask, gateway , dns servers that supplied by the ISP.

I would plug my PC directly into the modem and call the ISP and tell them you need a public ip address on that pc. Lot of times ISP will say that can't support a configuration when there is another router, well this is why we are plugging your pc directly in. Once you have a public ip address on your PC. Just copy this information into our router and you should up and running.

Thanks,

Cisco Support Engineer

View solution in original post

4 Replies 4

jasbryan
Level 6
Level 6

Rustin,

Sounds like the modem isn't bridge properly. I think your modem needs to be fully bridge and a transparent bridge. You need the modem to strictly act as a modem. Transparent bridges are devices which connect other segments to other bridges to make all routing decisions. You have our router for this, so your modem needs to be  bridge properly. Once this is accomplished you shouldn't have any problems putting the PPOE information into the router and getting connected.

Thanks,

Cisco Support Engineer

Thanks for the reply, Jasbryan.  Looking at the WAN options on the modem, I have the following:

Transparent Bridging (RFC1483 Bridged)

This is what I've been choosing, but it's not working.  Is there something with NAT I need to configure?  I wish Cisco had specific instructions on doing this. 

R

Rustin,

You might want to call your ISP for i am not complete sure on how to bridge that device. You can use GOOGLE and search for your modems model number and what you're trying to accomplish before calling your ISP. Generally alot of blogs out there with customers that are trying to accomplish the same thing.

Depending on the modems model, it might only support Transparent bridge mode, while letting the modem do the authentication to the service provider and setting our router to (Static IP) putting in a public ip address ,subnet mask, gateway , dns servers that supplied by the ISP.

I would plug my PC directly into the modem and call the ISP and tell them you need a public ip address on that pc. Lot of times ISP will say that can't support a configuration when there is another router, well this is why we are plugging your pc directly in. Once you have a public ip address on your PC. Just copy this information into our router and you should up and running.

Thanks,

Cisco Support Engineer

dhupatel
Level 1
Level 1

Hello Rustin,

are you pressing "Connect" from the summary page after entering PPPoE settings?