Views
Helpful
Replies

[RV110W] Join Intranet machines via VPN

Bast
Level 1
Level 1

Greetings,

I have a small problem: I succeeded in etablishing a VPN connection to my RV110W from Internet. When I'm connected with my VPN connection and surf on the web, my public IP address is my home router's one. However, I can't join my home computers.

My VPN adress is 10.0.0.10.

Ping to 10.0.0.1 and 10.10.10.1 (RV110W adresses both) works, but I can't ping to 10.10.10.101 (home computer). I tried with all my firewalls inactive.

Did I miss something on my RV110W configuration ?

6 Replies 6

josejack
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Hello William Flnn,

Are you connecting to the router using the Quick VPN software. This is an IPSec Tunnel. The feature I beleive you are looking for is Netbios broadcast, but this feature is not supported while using Quick VPN. It is normal to see the public IP of your router at home, if you are connecting from home, because with Quick VPN, and most other remote VPN software, you still have the capability of using your local internet. If you are trying to contact the 10.10.10.101 on the LAN side of the RV110W, then make sure that workstation is not blocking any services. You may want to disable to the firewall and anitivirus on it temporarily, then try to ping. Also try another protocol like Remote Desktop. While connected using Quick VPN, you will not be able to see the computer he computers on your network, but if the network allows, then you should be able to contact them using the IP address.

If you have any further questions, just let us know and we'll be more than happy to assist.

have a great day

Hello josejack,

Thank you for your answer. I'm not using QuickVPN but the PPTP protocol. I have already tried with all my firewalls inactive and it doesn't work.

josejack
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Hello William,

Make sure that you have PPTP passthrough enabled on the RV110W. are you connecting to PPTP running on a server?

mpyhala
Level 7
Level 7

William,

Check if you have any antivirus/firewall software on the PC you are trying to reach. That software will usually block access to the PC from any subnet that it does not belong to. Disable that software and test. If you can reach the PC, then create a rule in that security software to allow access to the PC from the IP Address range that you created on the RV110W for PPTP clients.

If you have a network printer, print server, NAS, IP camera, etc; try pinging that device. They will usually respond through a VPN tunnel because they do not have firewall or antivirus software on them. This is a good way to test if the tunnel is working properly.

Please keep us updated.

I disabled all my firewalls and it doesn't work, and yes josejack, I have PPTP passthrough enabled on the RV110W and I'm connecting to PPTP running on a server.

landbconsulting
Level 1
Level 1

Not sure if this may help, but if you are connecting via Win7 builtin VPN functionality, you may try the following:

1. Go to your network adapters and right click your VPN adapter and choose Properties

2.  On the Networking tab select Internet Protocol 4 and choose Properties (you can also double click it)

3.  Click the Advanced button

4.  On the IP Settings tab untick everything and set the Interface metric to a larger value (like 1000 etc)

5.  Click OK, OK, OK

Here is an explanation and source for the above:

http://superuser.com/questions/288442/connecting-to-resource-on-vpn-while-normal-traffic-routes-through-normal-connec