cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

RV120W Firmware upgrade to 1.0.5.9

mowen000111
Level 1
Level 1

I currently have a Cisco RV120W Wireless Router.  I am running firmware 1.0.5.6.  I saw that there is a newer firmware on the site 1.0.5.9.  First, is that a necessary update for the router?

I did however download the software to my desktop and then logged into my router and went to the upgrade firmware section.  I then had to select where the new firmware file is.  I hit the Browse button and selected the file on my desktop.

The path that came back was c:\fakepath\RV120W-Firmware-1.0.5.9

I was concerned about this and did not update.  What is causing this and should I be concerned?

Thank you

2 Replies 2

slstratt
Level 1
Level 1

Hello mowen000111,

Thank you for using the Small Business Support Community. I'm sorry to hear your concerns about upgrading your firmware, and I hope that I can help.

Generally speaking, updates to router firmwares contain fixes for known bugs and issues, and upgrading can address these problems. If you want to see all of the issues addressed in the 1.0.5.9 upgrade, along with any known issues that still exist, the release notes can be viewed here: http://www.cisco.com/c/dam/en/us/td/docs/routers/csbr/rv120w/release/notes/rv120_rn_v1_0_5_9.pdf

As to why the path is being set to C:\fakepath, it turns out that this is an intended feature of HTML5 which says that the local path to a file should not be given to any untrusted website. Instead, the browser will replace the actual path with C:\fakepath, and the upload will fail if attempted. It seems that this issue is mostly present in Internet Explorer, and can be fixed either by adding your router's IP address to the list of trusted websites, or by using another browser to perform the upgrade.

If you want to try upgrading the firmware again, the download page can be found here: https://software.cisco.com/download/release.html?mdfid=282981372&softwareid=282487380&release=1.0.5.9&relind=AVAILABLE&rellifecycle=&reltype=latest

If you have any other questions, please feel free to post them and I will do my best to help you! If this post solves your issue, remember to mark it as resolved to help out others on the community!

Best,

Taylor

Hello, 

I updated my RV120W-A V01 firmware to 1.0.5.9, after the reboot a bunch of vpn users went missing, mostly those configured on PPTP. Did any of you guys experienced the same?

Regards,

Frank

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: