cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

RV160 and RV260 with Mitel 5320e IP phone

MIkeDavis1973
Level 1
Level 1

Has anyone experienced issues with a Mitel IP phone behind an RV160 or RV260?  The phone boots up (using a PoE adapter between the phone and the router) but won't get an IP address.  Other clients such as a laptop obtain an IP address without issue.

The laptop and phone both show in the LLDP table but the phone will not pickup an IP address.  There's no VLAN configuration on the phone and the router is using the default VLAN 1.

lldp.JPG

Regards,

Mike

17 Replies 17

nagrajk1969
Spotlight
Spotlight

Hi

Now you are mentioning that there is a S2S Ipsec Tunnel configured as full tunnel with below traffic-selectors in the RV260/160:

Local-Subnet: 192.168.1.0/24

Right-Subnet: ANY

- So with the vpn tunnel UP, if we are assuming that you have the vlan1 subnet of 192.168.1.0/24, the same as in local-subnetof vpn-tunnel, and a dhcp-server is running on the vlan1 interface....And:

a) the windows/linux hosts in lan of this RV260, are able to get their ipaddresses (in the 192.168.1.x subnet) ....is that right?

b) But for some reason a ip-phone connected in same the lan-network is unable to get its ipaddress assigned by the same dhcp-server???????????????

- And you are saying that if the S2S tunnel is re-configured from a full-tunnel to a tunnel with say for example as below, it starts getting the ipaddr from Dhcp-server of vlan1????????

Local-Subnet: 192.168.1.0/24

Right-Subnet: 192.168.2.0/24

is the above your observations & present conclusion????

very strange behaviour, i dont think vpn tunnel has anything to do with the issue of dhcp in your local-lan network...and that too happening ONLY with your ip-phone and not with other pc/hosts in same environment...but then again things happen i guess for some reason/root-cause....?????

That's correct - I only noticed it by accident.

I have recently decommissioned a legacy subnet in the core of our network so on the RV260 I've been using for diagnosing this DHCP issue, I did some housekeeping and changed the tunnel configuration to only route traffic to 172.16.240.0/20 via the tunnel, allowing all other traffic to break out locally (previously, all traffic went via the tunnel).  I looked over to my work bench a short while later and to my surprise, the IP phone had picked up an IP address from the DHCP server on VLAN1 on the RV240 and it had registered with its controller (which is hosted elsewhere).  No other config changes have been made on the RV260.  I previously assumed it was some sort of broadcast block, LLDP or VLAN setting but they're all disabled.

I planned to verify the 'fix' by similarly changing the VPN tunnel on another home user's RV160 this afternoon but that's been delayed for a few days.

nagrajk1969
Spotlight
Spotlight

Hi

This is a strange behavior of dhcp-server on the RV-router!!

Can you please capture the packets when the issue happens (with the vpn tunnel configured in full-tunnel originally) at the shown capture-point? Would be useful to see what are the packets (and the structure of the packets) that are exchanged between the mittel-ip-phone and the RV-router...and post it here?

[IP-Phone]---(poe-adapter)----{capture-point}---vlan1[RV160/260]wan

- And also a capture when  it works (with the vpn-tunnel configured as split-tunnel)

thanks