Views
Helpful
Replies

RV180 VLANs not using respective IPs

kjohnson22
Level 1
Level 1

Hi,

I am new to VLANs but I did spend significant time trying to find an answer here or on the Net.

Situation:

I have the RV180 VPN K9-G5 with Firmware 1.0.4.14 connected to a cable modem via the RV180s-WAN-port. I am trying to create 3 VLANs which don´t see each other´s machines but can all access the Internet. I didn´t change any settings other than setting up these VLANs. (to be complete: To Port 1 a WLAN-Router is connected which is configured to be a WLAN-Accesspoint only (no dhcp, ip-sharing, nat, firewall), so this machine shouldn´t interfere).

Accessing the Internet from VLAN30 works fine.

Problems:

connected to Port-2=VLAN30 on my admin-PC....

a)  ...I can see all Hosts on all VLANs (using a portscanner). Why not only the Ips of VLAN 30?

b) ... all machines in all VLANs have IPs 192.168.1.* (see admin-PC attached). Why not 192.168.1.4.* for my admin-PC?

VLAN IDDescriptionInter VLAN RoutingDevice ManagementPort 1Port 2Port 3Port 4 
1DefaultDisabledEnabledUntaggedUntaggedTaggedTagged 
10NorbertDisabledDisabledExcludedExcludedUntaggedExcluded 
20JürgenDisabledDisabledExcludedExcludedExcludedUntagged 
30KevinEnabledEnabledTaggedTaggedExcludedExcluded 

IPv4 Address                192.168.1.1 / 255.255.255.0
IPv6 Address  
DHCP Server                Enabled
DHCP Relay                 Disabled
DHCPv6 Server IPv6   is disabled

VLAN IDDescriptionInter VLAN RoutingDevice ManagementPort 1Port 2Port 3Port 4 
1DefaultDisabledEnabledUntaggedUntaggedTaggedUntagged 
10NorbertDisabledEnabledExcludedExcludedUntaggedExcluded 
20JürgenDisabledDisabledExcludedExcludedExcludedTagged 
30KevinEnabledEnabledTaggedTaggedExcludedExcluded 

next test:

To find out where my 192.168.1.*-IPs are coming from I then numbered all "Domains" in all Subnets as "Cisco1" for VLAN1 and "Cisco10" for VLAN10 etc.. After ipconfig/renew I could see that my IPs are coming from VLAN-ID 1 by checking the DNS-Suffix.

But even when I deactivated the IPV4-LAN-DHCP-Server I receive IPs from  192.168.1.*-IPs. Why?

Thanks so much. Probably I am lacking some basic understanding.

Kevin

1 Reply 1

kjohnson22
Level 1
Level 1

I solved the Problem. It was due to the DHCP-Lease time. After lowering it to an hours or releasing the ip-address the new IP addresses came through.