cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

RV220W cannot establish a PTPP VPN connection over WAN

WolfgangFrink
Level 1
Level 1

I am not able to establish a PTPP connection with my iPhone over WAN. When I am in my local Wireless LAN it works nice using the external FQDN of the RV220W. But when I test the VPN access over 3G (meaning I am coming in over the WAN port) I get and error message that the connection to the PPP server could not be established.

Some more Info:

- Running latest firmware

- Port 1723 is open to the Internet

- ISP doesn't filter anything

- No Firewall settings blocking anything at the moment

- Nothing in the logs indicating what the problem is

So what needs to be done here to get it running over the WAN port and not only over the LAN ports?

2 Replies 2

mpyhala
Level 7
Level 7

Hi Wolfgang,

Thank you for posting. I have tested the PPTP on the RV220W using an Android phone on Verizon, Macbook Pro (Tethered to Android), and multiple Windows PCs using several different internet connections. They all connected flawlessly.

• Have you tried connecting a computer from the WAN to see if the RV220W is functioning properly?
  • Who is your carrier for the iPhone?
  • Do you have the ability to tether to the iPhone to see if the carrier is blocking the connection of if the issue is with the phone itself?

Thanks for your reply.

After trying every possible variation today, I came to the conclusion that my carrier doesn't route PPTP traffic over 3G at all. I can telnet to port 1723 without any problems, therefore the "problem" must be on protocol level at my carrier. If I switch to Edge instead of 3G I can make the connection.

I contacted my carrier for some more information about blocking or routing issues over 3G for VPNs.

IPSec connections to a FritzBox 7390 work without any problems from IOS/OSX over 3G here. And the router is even way cheaper than the Cisco one.

Looks like I can throw the RV200W I bought two days ago into the bin. :-( There is no use for it at all. Fell into a classical advertizing trap of a subpar product.

Any product recommendation that work also with the IPSec Client of OSX and IOS and has Windows support in addition? Also need site to site connections...