cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

RV320 Experience inter-vlan routing, retransmits

Dale McKay
Level 1
Level 1

I bought a RV320 to replace a 1841. I wanted the Gig speed. The RV320 had the 1.2.1.14 firmware installed on it.

The RV320 was configured with multiple VLANs and configured to provide inter-vlan routing. After placing the router in service, (no change to existing switch ports or trunk configuration, other than to verify speed and duplex) I began to experience issues with my AD DCs replication. There was an AD DC on each of the two subnets. Using Network Monitor on one of the DCs, I was able to see periods of multiple and successive retransmits. A clump of retransmits if you will. These periods of retransmits occurred during replication between the DCs and eventually broke the replication between the two DCs.

Most traffic would pass OK, although I did experience the period of no routing that has been talked about on this site. 

Other issues I had include;

• A flood of ICMP redirects. The redirect message is wrong as it points to the source station and not a viable alternate gateway.
  • The WAN interface going inactive and then active. This one seemed to be solved by configuring one of the interfaces as a DMZ and then disabling the DMZ interface.
  • Syslog messages are not in an industry standard format and were being parsed incorrectly by syslog servers.
  • Router ran about 50% CPU most of the time. Measured by two different SNMP management platforms.
  • A WSUS server that had previously had no issues with sending emails to a static email address suddenly began to have issues sending emails.

Put the 1841 (12.4.(24)T5 code) back in service and every one of these issues went  away.

Hopefully the next version of firmware addresses some of these issues.

0 Replies 0