cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

RV320 experiencing DNS trouble; web browsers showing 404

No thanks
Level 1
Level 1

About a month ago I deployed a RV320 as the gateway/router on an existing small business network and I have experienced numerous complaints about web browsers showing 404 returns when visiting known, good websites. The returns show a 404 in white text against a round, grey circle which I am assuming is born from the cisco router.

Previously the office ran on an Apple wifi/router layered behind a motorola gateway where the Apple device handled all of the routing with a few other Apple devices providing extended wifi coverage in bridge mode. The old network operated without issue. I have since brought the RV320 into the mix along with a SG300 switch to handle an increase in wired devices, a request for access rules, and moved the Apple products into access point roles. All of the Apple devices are hard wired to the SG300 and the SG300 is plugged into the RV320 and then in turn into the Motorola gateway.

It seems that every couple of days some of the wireless clients are seeing 404 returns when they wake up from sleep mode. Originally this behavior was evident when access rules kicked-in incorrectly and hit non-targeted clients. I turned off the access rules and left the defaults in place. This behavior is new to the office and reoccurring every couple of days now. If the router is power cycled the problem will go away, temporarily. If the firewall settings are changed on the router, and saved, the problem goes away temporarily. The problem always seems to return. I thought it was perhaps isolated to the wireless clients only, but I did get a call about the same thing on a wired client last week. Currently access rules remain set to defaults.

In addition to the 404 errors, sometimes a local web server shows up in the web browsers instead. So for example, during one of these strange situations a web page that is refreshed in a client browser for Cisco might get refreshed to show the contents of the local web server. Not sure what is causing this, but I do find it interesting that the server even shows up at all. Its like a partial DNS failure because the web traffic is not cut off entirely, it just gets routed incorrectly to the web server. I have DHCP running on the RV320 and nowhere else on the LAN; SG300 is in Layer2 mode, all apple products in bridge mode.

I have everything on a single vlan for now and trying to keep everything pretty basic until I can get this basic problem resolved. The firmware on the RV320 is v1.3.2.02. I had a hard time updating it when I took delivery of the switch and was concerned that it was wonky. I did end up reflashing it after discovering this problem and it seemed to reflash cleanly a second time. The DNS servers are being pulled from the gateway correctly and populate correctly via DHCP on all of the clients. I do have the working mode of the RV320 set to GATEWAY rather than ROUTER. Not sure what else is relevant to mention...

Any help improving the reliability of this router is appreciated.

1 Reply 1

jmcmeeken
Level 1
Level 1

Any solution for this?

I'm in the same boat. I have had this router for several years with no problems until recently. I purchased another one, and it happens with BOTH of them now. If I reboot the router everything works for about 24 hours and then people start getting 404 errors on sites specifically that are redirected to a login portal, and then eventually everything no matter what device they are using.

help