cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

RV320 freezes and must restart

bledbetter.mcs
Level 1
Level 1

We have a pair of RV320 routers that will occasionally freeze and become unresponsive. They are both firmware v1.1.1.19. The only way to regain functionality is to power down and power up.

I can't tell from the logs what the cause may be as I can't narrow it down to a specific time. Any clues where to start?

13 Replies 13

jfalkenberg1
Level 1
Level 1

I also have this issue. Every month or so the RV320 becomes unresponsive and a power cycle is the only way to fix it. I cannot even ping the router.

What firmware are you using? I'm going to try downgrading the firmware and see it that helps. For now, I installed a lamp timer to reboot the router every night at midnight.

I am using:

v1.1.1.19 (2014-12-01, 12:38:04)

I believe this is the latest.

Exact same firmware I am using. I even have a time to reboot it at midnight every night. It happened again last night and I don't see anything in the system log about it.

Im using version 1.2.1.13 and it freezes a lot... I just updated a post I've made 4 days ago with some new information. 

https://supportforums.cisco.com/discussion/12599471/auto-negociation-messages-kernel-rv320-when-forced-100-full

Basically, I saw some really strange warning messages on the logs that suggested autonegociation issues, and decided to disable auto negotiation on the ports. First issue: you cannot disable it unless you change the speed to 100-full. But I did it anyway. 

Although with slower speed, the router stopped freezing and it is stable now.  Certainly there is a bug on auto negotiation implementation as, even with auto negotiation disabled, it is still showing those warning messages.. hahah

Anyway, these last firmware versions are awful in terms of bugs. If you are using VPN on the RV320, be careful. Take a look at this post I made about a bug I found.. Cisco didn't even reply to it, as they have been doing lately. But I just hope they are looking to fix these bugs in a new version (and I hope that will be released quickly).

https://supportforums.cisco.com/discussion/12572006/big-security-issue-rv320s-vpn-implementation

Upgrade do 1.2.1.14 and it still freezes. 

I have developed a script in CasperJS to automatically login into the web interface of the RV320 and restart it every 3 days, and still, sometimes, it freezes.  And whenver it happens, you must restart it on the power button, because the web interface is not able any longer to accept connections.

I have never seen any product with such lack of support. This is a shame on Cisco.

Are you guys also having 100Mbps Full duplex as WAN1 or WAN2 DMZ port speed? do you think will it possible that it is the reason? want to find that if it is our common connection point and trigger the problem.

I'm trying to manually set the speed at both WAN1 & 2 port to be Manual 100Mbps full duplex, see if it will be able to solve the problem.

Later on, I'll also make both WAN1 & 2 port to have "Auto 1Gbps Full duplex" and monitor it again.

If the RV320 able to up constantly for a month, I'll consider this problem is fixed.

Francis, take a look on this post I made sometime ago:

https://supportforums.cisco.com/discussion/12599471/auto-negociation-messages-kernel-rv320-when-forced-100-full

I just read the post you mentioned, great information there, thanks.

After you switched to manual 100Mbps Full duplex, has the freeze problem stop?

or it keep happening still?

Still freezing... with 1.2.1.14 is even worse than 1.2.1.13. 

I'm giving up. Looking for some alternative solution to run pfsense or a way to load openwrt on this rv320 hardware. 

Francis Sin
Level 1
Level 1

I also have this problem too with firmware v.1.2.13 (2015-05-04, 18:40:51).

Even I only use it as my internet router and no VPN usage at all, the router still crash in random pattern and it can only be fix by powercycle the router, I do this almost at least 2 to 5 times a day. 

When this problem happen, I cannot even ping the LAN interface IP and looks like the whole router goes offline.

This problem makes this RV320 worse than a low end router and cannot be use, Cisco really should take responsibility to this problem and fix this.

I have two RV routers and the only one who freezes is the one that uses a static public IP. 

Anybody else having the issue and using static IP ?

I have the exact same issue with mine.  It is set to static IP though I haven't contributed the error to this.  I have used two of these now with the exact same issue.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: