cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

RV320 transparent bridge issues

edwardm01
Level 1
Level 1

I've tried to use a Small Business RV320 to setup a transparent bridge, for someone not wanting to divide a subnet. It's acting very buggy. This is my first time with an RV router, and without CLI, I'm finding it hard to troubleshot. I have the bridge going between WAN1 and the LAN. The MAC table seems to be built by the WAN side only.

Is there any version of show mac-address-table for the RV routers? Any method of customize bridging operations?

Secondly, the WAN is hooked to a hub, which is hooked to a polling server. The server keeps the MAC table updated. Oddly, the WAN port seems to absorb all packets in the subnet, causing no communication between the poller and polled machines on the WAN-side hub.

The router's GUI has a transparent bridge setting, but I don't exactly know what it's setting up. Anyone with RV router advice?

Thanks!

2 Replies 2

Raj T
Level 1
Level 1

Hello,

Have you tried the settings as listed in the admin guide:

Transparent Bridge (IPv4)

Choose this option if you are using this router to connect two network segments.

Only one WAN interface can be set as transparent bridge.

• Specify WAN IP Address—External IP address that your ISP assigned to

your account.

• Subnet Mask—Subnet mask specified by your ISP.

• Default Gateway Address—IP address of the default gateway.

• DNS Server 1 and DNS Server 2—IP addresses of the DNS servers.

Optionally, you can enter a second DNS server. The first available DNS

server is used.

• Internal LAN IP Range—Internal LAN IP range that is bridged. The WAN

and LAN of transparent bridge must be on the same subnet.

• MTU—Maximum transmission unit (MTU) size. Select Auto to set the size

automatically. Otherwise, to set the MTU size manually, select Manual and

enter the MTU size. (The size in bytes of the largest protocol data unit that

the layer can pass.)

With the exception of a DNS server, exactly that.  It's a simple GUI with little room for error.  I'm not sure there is much I could do differently.  I've found little docs on transparent bridges for the RV-series, except for the above instructions.  It still only builds the bridge table on the WAN port, and the WAN still absorbs subnet traffic. Weird.