cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

RV325, bricked after firmware update

davestubbs66
Level 1
Level 1

Hi, I desperately need some help as I have the same problem but the reset resolution isn't working.

I've had my RV325 working fine for about 6 months, then the VPN started having problems and wasn't connecting. I couldn't get logging to turn on to help diagnose the problem at all, so checked if there was a firmware upgrade, which I found @ version 1.3.1.10 so I downloaded that and then tried to do the firmware upgrade through the browser.

I tried multiple times but it never seemed to take it.

So I rebooted the router, only to find the diag light was now on red and the pwr light is flashing green.

So after a couple of hard resets (to be sure) I tried the process of hooking up my laptop as IP 192.168.1.100 to lan port 1, and tftp'ing the file to the router @192.168.1.1. But every time it times out.

I can ping 192.168.1.1, but there doesn't seem to be anything listening to the TFTP requests.

After a reboot, I can ping 192.168.1.1 and get a reply, and the router is acting as a switch for local traffic without a problem though not connecting to the internet. After I try and TFTP a new image to the router (and I've tried several different images with the same result), the tftp times out then it stops responding to pings altogether, though the switch is still handling local traffic.

I've tried the 30-30-30 method a couple of times as well and that doesn't appear to do anything either.

I'm really stuck now and need help with a solution.

Regards

Dave

9 Replies 9

davestubbs66
Level 1
Level 1

I obtained a second RV325 from my office to use, and tried to flash the firmware using the recommended method and ip addresses, and it did not work either, the tftp times out. Can you confirm the process.....

config PC as 192.168.1.100 then tftp the file to 192.168.1.1 using LAN port 1 (top left)

tftp -i 192.168.1.1 put RV32X_v1.3.1.10_20160215-code.bin

This does not work even on the good router.

I used the web interface on the good router to flash the firmware, and that worked fine. So there is nothing wrong with the file, but something seems wrong with the method.

Hello Dave:

I will look into this and let you know, Glad the router is working. Did you perform the sane upgrade method on the other router?

Thanks,

Glenn

I tried the web interface first on the original router.

i think there was something wrong with it before I tried the upgrade because the VPN would not go past phase 1, and on the new router with the same Config which was backed up from the old router it was fine.

logging was also not working on the old router but is on the new one.

the old one may be recoverable, but the tftp process is just not working, but like I said, that never worked when I tried it on the new router either so wonder how the tftp process is supposed to work.

stevecaspers
Level 1
Level 1

Had same problem and it was resolved I think by turning off the firewall on my laptop during the tftp load.

I did try that as well, didn't make any difference for me unfortunately.

Red_Hazard
Level 1
Level 1

cisco rv320/325 firmware update 1.3.1.10 has been removed from the Cisco site with no explanation.

I'm going to give Cisco a review on Amazon and Newegg that is well deserved.

That's not good news, I'd flashed my replacement router with that version, it has been having issues restoring Bon connections after the go offline. The only way to fix it has been to perform a reboot.

Hi Dave, 

were you able to resolve the issue? I'm also encountering the same problem as yours. Thank  you

Hmm, mine bricked too after a firmware update. I ran the procedure multiple times, unplug computer from router, turn off router, hold reset, turn router on, plug computer back in. The first time I held the reset for about 20 seconds. Getting frustrated I re-ran the procedure finally hitting on releasing the button one second after the lights stabilized with power flashing and diag light on, plugged in the computer and hit enter on the tftp client. Then it worked. I assume the timing of this process is a bit tricky your mileage may vary.