cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

RV325 : WAN Port 1 Connected (Inactive)

justin.jawad
Level 1
Level 1

I purchased a Cisco RV325 Dual Gigabit WAN VPN/Firewall Router a month or so ago that I am trying to connect to a Verizon FIOS OTN Box. For those who are unfamiliar with Verizon FIOS, the ONT (Optical Network Terminal) box is used with Verizon FIOS to convert optical signals to ip packets : Basically fiber in -> IPV4/V6 packets out. I have had the ONT connected to an Apple Airport Extreme for about 3 months with no problem. Recently, I purchased the Cisco RV325 Dual Gigabit WAN VPN/Firewall Router so I could move the Apple Airport Extreme upstairs. 

I connected the ethernet cable coming out of the Verizon ONT box into the WAN1 (port 15) of the Cisco RV325 Dual Gigabit WAN VPN/Firewall Router. When I click on the "System Status" menu option from the left hand navigation pane on the RV325, I see Connected in green and (Inactive) in red for WAN Port 1 with 0.0.0.0 as the WAN IP address. I have tried disabling the WAN2 port, enabling DMZ, removing the VLAN configurations to no avail. I also updated to the latest firmware,  disabling NSD (Network Service Detection) and increasing the intervals for NSD to no avail.

Are there additional settings I need to enable/modify in order to bring the WAN1 port into service on the Cisco RV325 Dual Gigabit WAN VPN/Firewall Router? 

Thanks in advance for all your help,

-Justin

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Philip D'Ath
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

Have you made it match the existing WAN configuration (PPPoE, DHCP, static IP, whatever)?

View solution in original post

5 Replies 5

Philip D'Ath
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

Have you made it match the existing WAN configuration (PPPoE, DHCP, static IP, whatever)?

Yes the WAN1 port is configured to match the existing WAN configuration : DHCP. 

Glenn Martin
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Hi Justin, I've investigated our issue and sense - you might be running into a problem where the RV325 WAN (or DMZ/WAN) port you're connected to is providing Routing functions while the FIOS device is also acting as a router. Please configure the FIOS device to act as a bridge and let the RV325 provide routing functions to the home side of the network. So, if you need help with setting the Verizon FIOS device to Bridge mode I'm sure Verizon can help with that.

If this correct your issue, can I ask that you mark this response as "Correct Answer" so your fellow RV325 users can see it?

Thanks, Glenn

Reconnect old router, in system settings release the IP address. Connect new router and the WAN IP address will be available if "select obtain IP address auto was selected.

The old router is an Apple Airport Extreme. I have tried releasing the WAN IP address in the past, disconnecting the ethernet cable from the old router and reconnecting it to the RV325. Perhaps I need to wait a little longer? I am trying to use the RV325 with Verizon FIOS directly. 

My setup is the following :

FIOS ONT (Optical Network Terminal) WAN --> CISCO RV325 (LAN)