cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

RV340 basic vlan questions (it doesn't seem to work as it should)

david.templeton
Level 1
Level 1

I've got a RV340 router in the office, it's the main wan access point for the whole network.

It's a small company, the office has various PCs, servers, one hosting the company website, VPN, all works great, no issues as a single networks for the company.

We have a small number of development and customer devices that need to go on the network and access the internet. I dont want the test devices to access the main office network or servers. I may want one or two of the office PCs to access the development machines but can sort that later with the access rules (I hope!).

I assumed the VLANs were the answer. The office network is 192.168.1.xxx, and was planning to put the development machines on 10.1.1.xxx.

If I set up a new VLAN2, and router as 10.1.1.1, and range /24 (10.1.1.1 to 10.1.1.254), then set the access rules to allow VLAN2 to WAN, and another of WAN to VLAN2, they cannot see the internet over the WAN.

The development machines are manually set for their IP, they can ping each other, but not the router. The router cannot ping them either, ping failed in the diagnostic page.

One other thing that may affect it is that DCHP is not enabled on the router, for any VLAN. One of the office servers is a domain controller and it must assert the DCHP or it doesn't seem to find the domain PCs in the office as part of it's domain.

Eveything is connected to LAN port1, and it goes to a gigabit switch. I've also tried moving the development machines to LAN port 4, but that didn't make any difference.

The VLAN1 (office) settings appear to be identical to VLAN2 settings other than the base IP address.

What am I missing in letting the router allow the VLAN2 access to the internet?

5 Replies 5

david.templeton
Level 1
Level 1

No one has any advice for basic VLAN setup???

david.templeton
Level 1
Level 1

That's a disappointing level of community support since there are other posts from people that have vlan working....

I am not that familiar with VLAN setups but I'm wondering if the issue is related to the default gateway for your 10.1.1.x network. What does the routing table show when you view it under advanced routing?

Maybe scrapping the VLAN and just adding the 10.1.1.x in the multiple subnet setup on the network config page would work?

I was just trying to solve a problem with the setup of my VPN and at one point I had two networks that were both able to access the internet but not each other by adding the second network as another subnet without touching anything in the VLAN setup pages.

josvitt
Level 1
Level 1

By default the RV340 LAN ports are configured as Trunk with VLAN1 Untagged - 

Any additional VLANs that are created are added to the Trunk as Tagged.

If you plan to connect an end device directly to the LAN port of the RV340, you will want to ensure the desired VLAN is marked as untagged on that port.

Something else to note, if your DHCP server does not have an IP address in the 10.1.1.0/24 network that you have created for VLAN2, you may consider adding a DHCP Relay to that VLAN.

vlan.PNG

ccm@dm1n1
Level 1
Level 1

Hey, did you make sure you put the new VLAN 2 (10.x network) on the LAN port(s) of the RV340? 

Like LAN 1 if thats your trunk to your switch, needs to have VLAN 1 and VLAN 2 defined on it

or LAN 4 which will make it the native vlan if your gig switch doesnt support vlans/tags