cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

RV340 Can't get IPv6 fully working on WAN (no routing)

TheMuk
Level 1
Level 1

Hi All,

I have in The Netherlands as provider KPN and on a Fritzbox 7590 or old Synology RT1900AC I can get fiber internet 1gb/1gb fully working with ipv4 and ipv6. Really easy.

But on the RV340 it is a pain

My Provider has as requirements:

WAN:  IPv6 address range + DNS servers (IPv6) through DHCPv6-PD request (in PPPoE). Use an address from range for router. PPPoE via VLAN 6 (802.1q).

LAN: Distribute IPv6 addresses and DNS server(s) (range of prefix obtained) via SLAAC and/or DHCPv6. 

I have ipv4 workin with PPPoE and I also set ipv6 exactly the same and use the same credentials (which can be anything).

I see then also my nicely my prefix as I also see it on the other routers I tried.

Whatever I do I do not get IPv6 fully working on the WAN part on vlan6.. ipv4 works perfect.

-----------------

WAN:

VLAN ID:6 

PPPoE

Share same session with ipv4

DHCP-PD: Prefix name: any

------------------------

LAN:

Prefix from DHCP-PD

Prefix length 64

EUI-64

RAVD: Other

---------

Has anyone some suggestions and can help me?

I would say a Cisco box should work with ipv6??

2 Replies 2

nagrajk1969
Spotlight
Spotlight

Hi

1. whats the prefix-length of the prefix assigned by isp thru the dhcp-pd for the lan-network? Is it /56 or /64?

2. You must have configured the wan interface with pppoe-v6 as in screenshot "wan-pppoe-Capturë1" 

- as far as iam aware (and i maybe wrong in my understanding), for a pppoe-v6 connection :

a) as part of the ip6-cp ppp negotiation between the pppoe-v6-client (the RV340) and the pppoe-v6-server of the provider, in the pppoe-v6 protocol there is no provision to assign a ipv6 address (along with a ipv6-default-gw address, dns-ipv6 address etc) automatically from a ipv6-pool

b) instead once the ipv6-cp of PPPoE is over, the pppoe-v6 link is UP/ESTABLISHED...AND using this pppoe-v6 link the next step is that the pppoe-v6-server will be configured with a dhcp-v6 server listening on the pppoe/ppp interface that comes up on the pppoe-v6-server

c) So as we have enabled dhcpv6-pd on the wan interface, there will be a dhcpv6-client that will run on the pppoe-v6-wan interface and negotiate with the dhcpv6-server of the provider listening on the ppp/pppoe-v6 link from RV345

d) So now using the dhcp-v6 protocol, the RV345 will be assigned a valid/global IPv6-address for the pppoe-v6-wan interface (alongwith the ipv6-default-gw address which could also be the link-local-address of the pppoe-v6-server...i guess)

e) And also there will be a "Prefix-Delegation" (named "äny" by you in wan config page) of a another ipv6 prefix that has to be configured for the internal lan-hosts. Generally this dhcp-pd assigned ipv6-prefix will be of /56 or say /64 length 

Note: This will be a separate prefix from what has been assigned to the wan interface by the provider server...

3. So now for lan interface config, say for example vlan1 interface, the ipv6 addressing (and the dhcpv6-server for internal lan) will be configured as shown in attached screenshot "vlan1-ipv6-PD-dhcp-server-Capture1-2"

4. So with reference to an issue with vlan-subinterface-based pppoe-v6-wan interface, keeping the above points in mind, iam thinking that you should be seeing a global ipv6-address (/64 or /128 depending on what the provider dhcp-v6 server will assign) assigned to the pppoe-wan interface on RV345

- you should also be seeing a "default gateway" configured on RV345 once the pppoe-v6 link is UP. I would be something like in attached screenshots (named ipv6-routes-1-x) 

hope the above info helps 

best regards

Dear nagrajk1969,

I am going to try it. On ipv4 I had all working perfectly. Only IPv6 is a problem. So lets see if I get it working.

Thanks!!