Views
Helpful
Replies

RV340 Multi-Wan Configuration Question

verysiberian
Level 1
Level 1

Hello everyone,

I thought I had my dual WANs set up correctly, but last week I somehow burned through > 2 GB of data from the secondary (backup) WAN, which is costly since it is metered. This happened between midnight and 2:00 a.m. when no one was in the office, though there could have been data activity from computers that stay on all the time or our IP phones. In any case, my goal is to have a very simple setup:

WAN #1 is default and processes all traffic. WAN #2 is configured but dormant unless WAN #1 fails, at which time it kicks in. When WAN #1 returns to life, WAN #2 stops.

I have both WANs set up in the configuration page. Would someone mind checking my configuration on the multi-WAN page to ensure that the logic is correct given my desired outcome? Thanks in advance. I am trying to avoid getting hosed again with data overage charges since WAN #2 is only a backup WAN over cellular and is costly.

Best,

Rob

5 Replies 5

Hi @verysiberian

That should works. What you can do is perhaps send to the costly link some specific high priority traffic, if apply for your network.

You can see that on the Policy Based Routing that it is possible specify the source traffic and the destination wan link.

Just an idea. But, the way it is will do the job.

-If I helped you somehow, please, rate it as useful.-

Thank you. Anyone else? I am still having this problem despite the configuration I described and showed in the screen shot. 

Thanks,

Rob

Did you ever get this resolved? I have a 340 and WAN2 is staying connected and not reverting to WAN1.

I "resolved" it only by switching my configuration to use a Cradlepoint device in front of the Cisco RV340. It shares the WAN1 static IP with the Cisco RV340 and it detects WAN1 failure, at which time it switches to a 4G LTE cellular backup. The RV340 is set up for only WAN1 in DHCP mode. This isn't what I had wanted but does work.

train_wreck
Level 1
Level 1

Just testing this, seeing the same thing. It appears to be somewhat random when/why the WANs will flip, and time to recovery from the backup to primary seems long.... my connectivity has been rock solid on both WANs as measured in numerous other ways on devices, both behind the RV340 and parallel to it as neighboring devices on the same WAN as the RV340.

Other dual WAN routers let you specify the detection method for WAN failure (most commonly it is a ICMP echo sent to the default gateway, which in my experience works well). I wish you could set the method on the RV340........