Views
Helpful
Replies

RV340 VLAN Communicating with Static Ip Addresses on the Same Network

ZachG-RawACF
Level 1
Level 1

Greetings,

I'm currently working to set up a small business network. For context, we want to implement IP Source Guard on the network for added security, but due to the limited number of devices that can be on the binding table, we will be using 2 RV340 routers to share the load.

I've hit a snag in this setup: I want to set up the printers on the network to have static IP Addresses, outside the DHCP range of the VLAN (The Ip Range being 192.168.1.100-255). I was intending to do this through Static DHCP. However, when I set a printer to a static IP address (192.168.1.50) none of the devices on the VLAN can print to it or communicate with it.

I did some further testing by making my laptop have a static IP address, outside the DHCP range (192.168.1.42). The Laptop is able to ping hosts within the VLAN DHCP Range, but these same hosts are unable to ping the laptop's static IP address. The Laptop is also unable to connect to any printers within the VLAN. Curiously, even if I set the laptop back to DHCP, the hosts on the VLAN still can't ping the laptop, even with it's freshly renewed IP address.

I should note that, as of this writing, I do not have access to the console on the router. I will need to use the web interface to set this all up for the time being.

Could someone offer some insight into this issue I'm having? Thanks.

3 Replies 3

psandel
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Hi Sir,

My name is Puneet Sandel and I am from Cisco small business technical support center.

AS per your query please try to do a hard reset on the router once and upgrade it to latest version. In case some hosts are able to ping the laptop and the vice versa is not successful, it shows that hosts are blocking ICMP echo reply messages. However I guess doing a hard reset should solve the issue for you.

Also make sure for the time being only one RV340 is connected and in case you have connected 2 RV340s in the network then only one RV340 has the DHCP server running on it. Please disable the DHCP server on the other one.

Hope this helps.

Please mark this post as the solution or Helpful if this helps.

Regards,

Puneet Sandel

So the router(s) are set to auto-update themselves nightly during off-hours and I just double-checked; they are up to date.

A hard reset of the routers did not resolve the issue. Once I tried to set the laptop static again, the issue happened once more.

Lastly, from what I can tell, both routers have to have DHCP on for IP source guard. In any case, both the laptop and the hosts trying to ping it are connected to the same router, in the same network and subnet. The second router is presently isolated from this issue.

nagrajk1969
Spotlight
Spotlight

Hi

1. How is the Router2 connected to the lan-segment containing Rouer-1 as well as other lan-hosts/laptops/printers?

Is it via a Switch OR is one of the lan-ports of Router-2 connected to 1 of the lan-ports of Router-1?

2. Can you just disable IP-Source-guard on Router-2 and leave the rest of the configs as it is...and run the test with the laptop/printer using static-ip?????