cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

RVS4000 - any way to monitor/log bandwidth usage?

Javylopez8
Level 1
Level 1

Hello,

I just installed an RVS4000 in a LAN setup with about 50 users. Its sharing a Comcast 100/10 line and I would like to be able to do 3 things:

• Cap bandwidth for all users at 5 Mb/s
  • Log bandwidth usage in total to see how close to max capacity we are
  • Log bandwidth by IP

I took a shot at #1 by setting a rule in QoS for all traffic for all my IP's but I was still getting high speedtest results from behind the switch. Is there anything else I need to do in conjunction with that rule?

For #2 and #3 just having usage in total would suffice if I was sure that all users were capped at 5 Mb/s. Also if I could see this realtime it would be great.

Is this functionality possible with the RVS4000?

1 Reply 1

josejack
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Hello Javier,

Lets give this a try.

Go to QoS--->BANDWIDTH MANAGEMENT--->, You want to enable Bandwidth Management. Then under BANDWIDTH MANAGEMENT TYPE, Select RATE CONTROL. Once you have selected Rate Control you will have the option to specify a serivice, if you just want to limit the bandwidth for the web usage, then you may only want to select HTTP (80). If you want everything, just leave it at the default settings of All Traffic.

In the IP field you want to specify the range of addresses on your LAN that this will apply to, exp. 192.168.1.1 to 254.

Direction would be downstream for you, that means traffic incoming, you can also specify traffic out, which is upstream. In the Min, and Max rate you want to put the 0 for Minimum, and 5000 for Max, be sure to put a check in the enable box, then add to list, then you want to save this configuration. That should take care of your first step.

Unfortunately, for the other two options you will have to find a third party device or software to do this. The closest that the RVS4000 comes to accomplishing this is by going to IPS--->REPORT, this will show you a graph with the Network Traffic as it currently is on the router. The router doesn't have a way to specify which user is using a certain amount of bandwidth, or a way to report it. Most of the Small Business Switches have this capability. Do you have a Managed Switch behind the Router.

I hope this helps you out.

Have a great day.