Views
Helpful
Replies

RVS4000 Bandwidth Management Not Working

reliablegd
Level 1
Level 1

Hello,

I have a RVS4000 hardware v2 with firmware 2.0.2.7. I have a DSL modem in bridge mode and have the router set to PPPoE. Everything works fine except I want to use QOS which doesn't work fine. I have some vonage boxes set up on a switch set to port 1 trust mode is set to port and level 4 for highest priority. Port 2 I have on another switch set to priority 3. I tried turning bandwidth mangement on which doesn't seem to work at all so I don't even know if they QOS is even working. I set the max down stream and upstream provided after running a number of speed tests and setting it a little lower than my worst speed results. Once I did that I set up a rule for all traffic for rate control and set them just below the min and max I put in for isp bandwidth. I set the ip range from 192.168.1.100-190 this will cover anything that dhcp hands out and I also have a few statics set up on 192.168.1.180 and 181. However after enabling it I ran some speed tests and I still get full speed and the rules seem to be getting ignored. Not really sure what to do at this point if I am doing something wrong, if the feature is broken or it is just my router.

Thanks

2 Replies 2

mpyhala
Level 7
Level 7

Hello,

Thank you for posting. I don't think that the rules take effect until they are needed. Try generating a huge amount of traffic on all ports and you should see the QoS take effect.

Thanks for the reply, I didn't know that was the case. I would think if I set a rule for max bandwidth that it wouldn't go past that limit regardless since it is the max but I'm not sure. When I was testing I was just doing speed tests.  I will give that a try though, thanks for the reply.