cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

RVS4000 VPN Issues - Connects but No Internet

mspearsuei
Level 1
Level 1

Hello, I am able to connect to the RVS4000 remotely using QuickVPN, and can stay connected, however, once connected I cannot use the internet or see any of the remote computers via the network.  Any advice?

Thanks

3 Replies 3

jasbryan
Level 6
Level 6

Michael,

Qvpn doesn't support discovery protocols that a computer broadcast that would show in your network. When you are connected via Qvpn you will need to use the IP address of that computer or create a LMHOST file and or have a local DNS server to resolved computer names.

As for the first issue, not having internet - haven't seen this issue before since it's a split tunnel all your internet traffic are destined out your local default gateway.

Please make sure both your local subnet and remote subnet are not the same.

Thanks

Jasbryan

Cisco Support Engineer

.:|:.:|:.

I see, is it possible to change my local subnet? Currently we're using 255.255.255.0, I tried to change to 255.255.255.252 under Setup, LAN Settings, Subnet Mask but then I had to reset the router becuase the internet wasn't working locally.

Thanks

Michael,

What Jason means is that the router you're connecting to should not have the same LAN address as the router you are connecting from. You should change the RVS4000 to use 192.168.2.1 or 192.168.100.1 to avoid a conflict. Many routers use 192.168.1.1 and if you connect from one of these it will not know where to send traffic destined for 192.168.1.x. So if you are trying to access shared folders behind the RVS4000 on a PC that has 192.168.1.110 and the router you are connecting from uses 192.168.1.1, that router will keep the traffic local instead of sending it through the VPN tunnel. You should leave the subnet mask at 255.255.255.0.

Please reply if you have further questions.