cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Set up VPN on RV042 to "relay" from remote locations?

akahan
Level 1
Level 1

Hi -

I have an RV042, which I'm using as my gateway router at my office.

I am having difficulty setting up an IPSEC VPN (currently using the Shrewsoft client, though I'd be open to other approaches) to accomplish the following:

When using my laptop at a coffee shop or client site, I would like to tunnel ALL internet-bound traffic to my RV042 at my office, which would then relay the traffic out to the net, acting as a middleman between myself and the internet, so that my traffic is tunneled and encrypted from the coffee shop to the RV042 (and back again).  The idea would be that the traffic is just as safe (or as unsafe) as it would be if I were at the office.

I do not need to use this tunnel to access local resources on the office network; the sole purpose is to place the RV042 as a "man in the middle" between myself at the coffee shop and the 'net.

Is there a step-by-step (screen by screen) tutorial available for setting this up?  I feel that I'm very close, as I've been able to establish the tunnel (yay!), but once connected, my internet-bound traffic doesn't go through it...or, alternatively, if I force all traffic through the tunnel, I'm unable to surf the 'net (and even unable to ping numeric public IP addresses.)

I have set the LAN address to something in the 10.86.XX.XX range, to avoid conflicts with the IP addresses being handed out by the coffee shop routers, so I know that's not my problem.

On the RV042, I've set up a Group VPN, but I've obviously done something wrong...any idea what my problem might be?  (I have almost no experience setting up VPNs, so, although I've gotten a tunnel established,  I could have made a really rookie error here... a step-by-step would be extremely helpful.)

Thanks!

4 Replies 4

mohamedtag
Level 1
Level 1

Dear Akahan ,

I was trying this issue couple of weeks ago using the Quick VPN Client . Is your WAN Interface configured with a Public IP Address or are you using Dynamic DNS Feature ?

Regards

MTag

I have a fixed WAN address.

As far as I can tell, the QuickVPN client does not provide a means to send internet-bound packets through the tunnel.  That is, it uses the VPN tunnel for traffic to/from addresses on the RV042's local LAN, but nothing else, and does not seem to be configurable in this regard. That's why I'm not using QuickVPN for this.  If you know of a way to get the QuickVPN client to send ALL traffic to the RV042 through the tunnel, I'd certainly be very interested to hear about it.

Thanks!

Dear Akahan

Actually i was trying using the Quick VPN with the RV042 but i was using for the RV042 WAN Interface Virtual IP Address +  Dynamic DNS Feature , but i failed to get the Quick VPN Client to establish a connection to the RV042 . I was wondering if you have any idea if the Quick VPN Client ( or any IPSEC VPN Client ) have an issue with using the DDNS Feature ?

Note : I tried to creat a PPTP Account over the RV042 and it worked with the DDNS with No Problems. Of course i did not use the Quick VPN Client , i used the Simple Windows XP VPN Connection and it was able to establish a Conenction to the RV042 ( I believe , Windows VPN Connection uses PPTP Not IPSEC ).

Regards

M.Tag

I had no trouble using QuickVPN with the DDNS feature...but it doesn't do the tunneling of all traffic that I need.