Views
Helpful
Replies

SRP541W multi vlan set-up

Florian1974
Level 1
Level 1

Hello everybody.

I am using an SRP541W router and i am trying to configure 2 vlans, each one to use its own Wan:

Here are the dhcprules and vlans:

dhcp1.JPG

dhcp2.JPG

As can be seen, each one has its own wan interface.

Vlans:

vlans.JPG

As can be seen, each vlan is using its own ports and dhcp rule, so, now they should be separate.

Both Wans are connected:

interface info.JPG

So now (at least as i see things) the two vlans are separate and using different Wan. But the reality is different, everything is going out using Wan1.

Also in the Interface Info you can see that the 2 vlans are listed under the Wan1.

The rest of router setting are default.

This is my first attempt to set up a Cisco, so please bare with me.

Thank you in advance.

Florin

* after some thinking, i think i also need to modify something in the Routing area...right? I guest all the treffic is going through Wan1 is because the default routing table?

17 Replies 17

Andrew Hickman
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Hi Florin,

WAN Interface in the DHCP settings doesn't actually define the routing behaviour for that subnet (it defines where certain DHCP options are derived from).

To achive the routing you require, simply add a static routing rule to direct traffic from the VLAN IP Subnet to WAN2.

Regards,

Andy

Well, actually i did that, but no, it didnt worked...

Hi Florin,

My apologies, I mis-spoke earlier.  I should have said use policy based routing, not static routing in this case.  Should just be a case of setting inbound and outbound interface in a new rule.

Regards,

Andy

Andrew, thanks for help.

Would you be kind to give me an example? Do you have a router in hand to make the policy and show it to me?

Eternally grateful,

Florin

Hi Florin,

The following should do it....

Regards,

Andy

Yes, after your pre-last message, i played a little with Policy Routing and i did same setup.

It's working now. Uff...these routing policies....

Andy...thank you.

But soon i will bother you again 'cause i have to set up a VPN server, of course if you are willing to...:)

Florian

mcat.jonposey
Level 1
Level 1

Sorry to bring up an old post but I'm having the same issue.

Here is what I've done with this router. Most of my traffic is going to the wan1 T1 connection. I need to split data and voice to go to the right place. I have 20+ wireless voip computers with softphones. Most of the time it is okay but I see most of the traffic.Here's what I have.

If anyone could push me in the right direction either with some links on how to set this up or just telling me on here that would be great.

Thanks,

Jon

Hi Jon,

Not sure that I follow your problem exactly.  It seems that your WAN connections are configured correctly - I'd suggest that you check your policy and / or static routing rules to ensure that traffic is being routed correctly. 

Are you saying that some calls are not working correctly?  Are you using any of the integrated FXS ports on the device?

Regards,

Andy

This may help also. I don't think the table is correct. I'm going off the example shown above.

We have 20+ wireless computers on the network. I'm in the process of making things a little smoother by adding a few more vlans to help with directing traffic but I can't get the data to go out the wan2 comcast line and the voice to the wan1 T1 connection. Hopefully the route table will help. If you need more info let me know.

It looks like all of you traffic is currently going via WAN2 - is this what you are seeing?

Do you have any Policy Routing Rules configured?

If you have seen the "voice interface" setting on the main "Interfaces" page - note that this only applies to the integrated FXS ports.  To route LAN side voice traffic to a different WAN interface, you will need to use Policy Routing.  You shouldn't necessarily need to configure additional VLANs.

Regards,

Andy

Actually all of the traffic is going out the wan1 T1 connection. Maybe I'm confused on how to set up the policy route rules. Could you give me an explanation or send me to a link that would show me what your talking about?

Hi Jon,

From what you have posted above, that seems odd.  The default route is pointing at WAN2.  I can't see from your first image above whether you have interface failover enabled or not.  This should be disabled for what you want to do.

To configure PBR, take a look at the Administration Guide: http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/voice_ip_comm/unified_communications/srp540_series/administration/srp500_AG_2567701.pdf

Page 84.

Regards,

Andy

Thanks Andy. I apreciate the help. Been scratching the ol mellon trying to get this working correctly. I have failover diabled also. I'll let you know if I get it working.

Jon