cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Subnets or VLAN based on device MAC Addresses???

RonB1971
Level 1
Level 1

I bought a new RV345 and I have been reading for two days.  I still can't figure this out.  There HAS to be a way!

I want to assign devices in my house to different subnets or different VLANs.  

For example:

• computers & laptops on VLAN1 or subnet 192.168.1.0
  • smart switches and hubs on VLAN2 or subnet 192.168.2.0
  • streaming devices on VLAN3 or subnet 192.168.3.0
  • cell phones on VLAN4 or subnet 192.168.4.0
  • unknown/new devices on VLAN5 or subnet 192.168.5.0

I want all the VLANs/subnets to talk to each other and all have internet access.  I just want to organize my devices.

I adjusted VLAN1 to subnet mask 255.255.254.0 but I can't figure out how to get Static DHCP to assign devices to 192.168.2.x.

I created 2 VLANs and I recognize I can assign LAN ports to different VLANs, but each port goes to a different room with a dumb switch and multiple devices that I want in different subnets/VLANs.

Help!  I'm happy to read/learn, but I can't seem to find any examples of this scenario.  Everything is either tied to physical ports or based on user.  Is my only option to have physical networks - but the "V" stands for virtual, right??? 

Thanks.

2 Replies 2

MattLewandowsky
Level 1
Level 1

Each VLAN has its own DHCP server, so by the time you're at DHCP it's too late.

If the devices are WiFi, use a separate SSID for each VLAN. If they're wired, provided you're using a managed switch, you can individually assign each port to its own VLAN.

Thanks Matt, however, I don't think I'm asking the question well.

Ultimately my question is... Using the RV345, can I use the MAC Address of my devices to assign them to different subnets?

I can have the RV345 ports on the same VLAN or on different VLANs, but each port goes to a room (with an dumb switch and multiple devices) not to individual devices.

I don't want to replace all my dumb switches in all my rooms with managed switches (due to expense and complexity - why can't the RV345 assign IP Addresses instead of me having to manage RV345 and 8 switches?)

If I can't do it with the RV345, can I do it with a different router or is it not possible without replacing all my switches with managed switches?

Thanks again.