cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

VPN configuration through intermediate router

davidnusbaum
Level 1
Level 1

I have read the manual multiple times now, but the basic concept here is still eluding me.

I'm trying to create a Quick VPN client connection to a RV120W.

- The client is running on a home network.

- The target nework has a DSL Modem/Router on the Internet with a fixed IP address.

- The RV120W is downstream of the DSL Modem/Router and has a fixed WAN address on the DSL Model/Router.

- The DSL Modem/Router is configured to forward HTTP (80/443) and IPSec to the RV120W.

Now the questions....

1) I'm assuming I need to run the VPN Wizard and create the appropriate IKE and VPN policies? (It's not obvious if this is required to QVPN as well as regular VPN users.)

2) What do I use for Remote WAN IP Address/Internet Name? I don't know the address or FQDN because the client is running on a home network. I don't think this matters, but the wizard requires a value.

3) What do I use for the Local WAN IP Address/Internet Name? Do I use the static IP internet address of the DSL Model/Router or the static WAN address of the RV120W?

Everything else seems to make sense.

Thanks,

Dave

7 Replies 7

kamatthe
Level 1
Level 1

To use QVPN with the RV120W you only need to add the IPsec user to the router making sure you select Cisco QuickVPN for the User Type. That is the only thing required when the router is your gateway device. Can you set your DSL modem/router to bridge mode?

There are other devices that utilize the DSL Model/Router, which I thinks precludes me from using it in bridge mode. Will simply using portforwarding not be enough?

David,

yes, you will need a public ip address on your RV120W , if you're going to use IPsec (Qvpn).

So the DSL modem will have to be in bridge mode, passing a public ip address to our router.

That being said; you said that other device are utizling DSL/Router : you can simply have those

device going though the RV120W.

Thanks,

Jason Bryant

Cisco Support Engineer

.:|:.:|:.

Thanks Jason,

I'm think I'm stuck. The router is supplied by the building and I was able to negotiate having the IPSec and HTTP ports forwarded to my router, but I cannot bridge the entire DSL Model/Router to my router because those other devices are not part of my network. I guess it's back to using the Windows based VPN solution that I was trying to get away from. I do appreciate the help though.

David,

if you want to get a way from windows vpn solution ; then i would recommend going with an SSL vpn solution. This is a WEB base vpn that uses port 443 that will give you what you are looking for.

SA500 models routers

RV220w router

If you think you might go this route, i can test in the lab to confirm this will work as being forwarded from another router!

Thanks,

Jason Bryant

Cisco Support engineer

I would really appreciate it if you could test this setup with the RV120W in the lab. I know these aren't expensive compared to the enterprise class hardware, but I'm buying the router myself and giving it the the non-profit as a donation, so I cannot afford too many more mistakes on my part. If it works, I'll swap in the RV220W and put the RV120W up on ebay.

Thanks again,

Dave

I've purchased a RV220W now and was able to create a SSL VPN connection using Internet Explorer. I failed, however, to create a SSL VPN using Firefox or Safari. This is a bit of a challenge since it took a month to get users off of IE and onto Firefox. Can you offer any advice on which browsers will work with the SSL VPN? I was hoping that SSL VPN would be easier, but last night it seemed like I was waiting for the planets to align correctly before everything would work.

Thanks again for the help,

Dave