cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

VPN problem over RVS4000

davidbayne
Level 1
Level 1

I am attempting to set up a RVS4000 for a client.

Simple network. The client (using QuickVPN, if possible) would like to conntect from home to the office, to access a server there and to print to their multifunction device (KonicaMinolta BizHub 200).

I'm having no luck (either from XP or Windows 7).

Networks do not have the same IP address range (I fixed that first).

Firewall on Win7 is configured to allow QVPN, per a posting on this site.

I can ping and login to the router just fine. No problems at all.

I can also occasionally ping one of the devices on the remote network, but not reliably (and I can't reproduce the problem) (I cannot ping the server, unfortunately). I cannot print at all to the BizHub.

I know that I can't get NetBIOS across QVPN, so am using IP only, but that doesn't seem to be solving the problem.

Any thoughts? I'd like this to work. If you need info, let me know and I'll provide it.

-David

2 Replies 2

dhupatel
Level 1
Level 1

David,

There are many factors involved in getting the connectiong going, here are some suggestions:

- Starting on server end, ensure fire-wall settings are adjusted to passthrough VPN connections (IPSEC for QVPN).

- All system based media-sharing/file-sharing features must be turned off.

- Confirm Internet sharing is disabled on active network adapter.

- Check Virus scanning software/utilites for conflicts.

- If you are using a certificate based connection:

- All settings must be finalized before issuing a client certificate (any change requires a new request).

- Check the certificate belongs in the base QVPN directory.

- Check relative settings on Client router and ensure it allows a continuous ping to the server.

I recommend rebooting the router when you improperly disconnect or have an un-responsive connection.

Hope that helps!

- Dhumil

After chatting with phone support, here is the resolution. I'm posting it here to help the next person with a similar problem.

There were multiple problems. Turns out that there were 2 firewalls running: Trend Micro and Windows Firewall. Even with both tuned to allow QVPN, it didn't work (and I tried adding all of the helper apps also, to no avail). I finally disabled TM Firewall completely and tuned Windows Firewall as described elsewhere on this site.

That didn't fix it, though. In looking at the files in the QVPN directory, it turns out that the "RVS4000_Client.pem" was actually named "RVS4000_Client(2).pem", and that prevented it from working right. Renaming that fixed the problem. Unclear why that would solve it, but success is success.

Fixing the firewalls and renaming the file fixed the issue connecting. The client is happy that they can get their work done remotely, and that's what matters here.

On a related note: the phone support engineer said the product was listed as out of warranty (2 years ago!) on his system, even though I purchased it last week new. Appears that some stores have old stock still. I knew it was RVS4000, version 1, but didn't realize it was 2 years sitting on the shelf. That info isn't clear on the outside of the boxes at all...

Good luck in the future. RVS4000 is an interesting box. Not sure if I'd buy it again; only time will tell.

-David