Helpful
Replies

WAP4410 dropping connections

darrenweiner
Level 1
Level 1

Model: WAP4410N-A V02

Firmware version: 2.0.3.3

Deployed 3 of these as WAPs. No repeaters. They are spaced at least 50 feet apart over three offices, each in a server or switch room.

Problem:

Across multiple laptops, and multiple WAPS, the wireless will function fine for a while with good bandwidth..then the connection will simply drop. By simply resetting the connection on the laptop or turning the wireless off then on, the connection typically returns, at least for a period of time before it drops again.

I’ve tried these configured as three separate SSIDs on identical channels, as well as one SSID for all three with different channels (preferred for a seamless wireless), and the behavior does not change either way.

Based on some other threads, I tried forcing the LAN port speed to 100 mbps, but the problem persists.

Any ideas?

Thanks!

7 Replies 7

jasbryan
Level 6
Level 6

Darren,

First with the WAP4410N doesn't support seamless roaming; there is in need of a controller when we are talking about a seamless wireless connection. Now using the 4410 you need to have all three access points’ on different channels to avoid wireless interference. One Channel 1 other Channel 6 other Channel 11, this should allow for some overlap. There has to be some interference in your network since you are able to reset your laptop wireless card and reconnect and everything starts working fine.

I have a similar topology with these AP and haven't observed this behavior. I too just upgraded to latest firmware.

Have you heard of a tool call inSSIDer little minimum on what it does but it’s better than nothing. This tool will show you all wireless networks within your service area. Help you map out the locations for all your Access points.

Not sure what is all in your service area but things like other AP near your service area, Bluetooth device, cordless phones running 2.4GHz bandwidth cause issues. If you have your AP located near a kitchen where you have microwave ovens will interrupt this signal. If the AP is mounted around fluorescents lights causes EMI and causes interference. With wireless there are so many things that can cause issues. Have you measure or mapped out your services area wireless environment. Wireless signals behaviors are scattering, reflection, re-fraction, absorption, diffraction; all things in your environment will affect how wireless signal behaves with your wireless clients in your service area.

Scattering: Scattering will take place when a wireless signal hits an object that has many irregular angels causing the signal to shoot off into many directions.

Reflection: Reflection happens when the signal just completely bounces off the object. This can be a good thing and a bad thing. Reflection can be good because clients don't have to rely of LOS (Line or Sight) service. Signals can be transmitted and bounced off large buildings to a client. Reflection can be bad of it causes signals to bleed into a unneeded area.

Refraction: Refraction is the bending of your wireless signal as it goes through a medium of higher density than its origin.

Absorption: Shoot your signal at a larger brick building, concrete, and thick wood signal might be absorbed up and disappear.

Diffraction: This is often mixed up with refraction. Diffraction occurs when your wireless signal hits a very large object, slows down and actually turns around the corner. This is great if you want your signal to bend around the. Plus it slows down your signal making it weaker

Sometimes it can just be a hardware issue between the chip set of your computer and the Access point. Now I would rule that out since you have tested multiple computers with same problems.

Have you seen any common ground in where they lose signal?

When and where does the computers wireless card have to be restarted?

What time intervals are in common?

Wireless can be hectic at first to implement but once you have your service area mapped, access points placed in proper alignment with your wireless virtual map. Then everything will become stable and you shouldn’t have any more problems.

Thanks,

Jasbryan

Cisco Support Engineer

.:|:.:|:.

Hi, My name is Eric Moyers. I am a Network Support Engineer in the Cisco Small Business Support Center.

I also work with Jason here at the Support Center. Everything he is saying is correct. One thing that I wanted to add is we do get a lot of questions regarding seamless roaming with the small business devices. Like Jason was saying for seamless roaming there would have to be a wireless lan controller to manage the wireless connection. Its job is basically to manage when clients are connected through the AP's and monitor their connection strength. When it get weaker it will go ahead and transfer the client over to the strongest signal.

With the Small Business devices, there actually has to be a drop in connection for it to move to the next signal.

In regards to your issue I noticed that you wee on the 2.0.3.3 firmware. There is actually a newer fw now available. 2.0.4.2. Please upgrade to that firmware and after you have installed it, do a factory reset and then manually reconfigure your settings. This FW was release to specifically address DHCP drops in wireless connections and should help in your case.

Hope this helps and if we can answer any other questions, please let us know

Eric Moyers
Cisco Network Support Engineer
CCNA, CCNA-Wireless
1-866-606-1866

Thank you for the additional info.

Re: Seamless:  Right, I'm aware it's not a true "seamless" solution.  I raised my roaming aggressiveness on the wireless cards and the switchover seems pretty smooth.

I just upgraded to the lastest firmware per your suggestion. HOWEVER, you mention I have to reset and manually configure the routers...is that absolutely necessary?  Can you please provide some more info, as that's a pretty unusual request when doing firmware upgrades.

Thanks,

Darren

I would be happy too.

It is our recommendation that once FW has been updated that a factory reset and then manually reconfigure the Access Point point is helpful.

The reasoning for this specific action is that we have found that sometimes when performing the upgrade that bits of the old code get kept with the configuration during the upgrade. Doing the factory reset ensures that all configuration are removed and the new fw is able to be firmly entrench and used for all of the customers settings.

I am by no means saying that this is a hard and fast requirement and that things will fail if this is not done. But I have seen in many instances, where customer have not done this and issues never disappeared. But when they factory reset and manually reconfigured, the issues went away.

Please let me know if you or he have any other questions or I can help in any way.

Eric Moyers

Cisco Network Support Engineer

CCNA, CCNA-Wireless

1-866-606-1866

Jasbryan,

I really appreciate your response on this.

to answer your questions:

Have you seen any common ground in where they lose signal?

Good question that I started troubleshooting this a.m:  Am running two laptops off of the same WAP and will see if they drop at the same time.

When and where does the computers wireless card have to be restarted?

The laptops will be docked, and simply stop transmitting ..not during sleep mode, etc, but in the middle of using it, without roaming the network.  Most commonly I've either diagnosed and reset the wireless adapter, or toggled the physical wireless

What time intervals are in common?

I'm not seeing anything that I'd hoped to:  Just now as I was typing this, my laptop that has been on the wireless for 3.5 hours just dropped (it sputtered for a while, with some long ping responses, then just timed out completely), while another laptop in my office on the same network did not.  After turning the wireless off and on with the switch on the lapatop, it came back up and will likely be ok for a while as well.

I tried increasing the key renewal timeout this a.m. from 3600 --> 36000 (and rebooted all the WAPs), but obviously that didn't help.  That made the most sense of anything I saw so far.

More info:  I'm running WPA2-Enterprise with AES encryption.  I read one thread about using TKIP vs. AES.  Could that be a possibility?

It just doesn't seem to be an interference issue, given that one laptop dropped and the other, literally 1 foot away, did not....

Thanks,

Darren

Darren,

Let try something, you mentioned that you are currently running WAP2 enterprise. Maybe we can set up a second SSID ••à test with WPA2 Personal Encryption and have those laptops connecting; next maybe we can take that SSID encryption down to WPA & Test.

Yes, AES vs. TKIP could possibly be causing some of the behavior. Laptop wireless card overhead and AP wireless overhead due to the complexity of AES encryption. In wireless environment all topologies are generally different and don’t exhibit the same behavior.

So let me know what the results are,

Thanks

Jasbryan

Cisco Support Engineer

.:|:.:|:.

Jasbryan,

Tomorrow a.m. I was going to manually rebuild the config per the previous thread. Do you think that may actually make a difference?

with regards to WPA Personal:  The problem is we are running WPA2 Enterprise for a reason (AD authentication), and we need to keep that.  I may be able to try that for testing purposes, but would prefer to change one thing at a time, and that next item will be the manual config rebuild.

My reading of TKIP is it's not that much better than WEP and as such we need to avoid it.

Is there a better product that Cisco makes that I should be considering for this type of secure solution?

Could there be firmware upgrades on the wireless network cards that may help?

Thanks.

Darren