Helpful
Replies

What CISCO to buy?

s217
Level 1
Level 1

What is available:
apartment (135 sq m)
4 TVs with internet (ethernet) WiFi do not use, as there are delays on it.
PS4 (On wi fi)
apple tv (ethernet)
2 laptops are also on the wire.
A small computer with disks (Used PLEX(www.plex.tv), I can not refuse this, cool stuff)
By WiFi tablets and phones

Country house, also have asus, there are several TVs

Advise cisco instead of current routers asus
They sometimes dull.
I would like to combine the house and apartment into a single lan space, so that server with plex can also be used for home cloud storage (nextcloud).

I would like to have at least 8 lan ports with a margin for the future (for an apartment). For the house I don’t know how, the location is always different, then in the house, then in the apartment.
Seamless WiFi would also not be bad, of course, but here, as I understand it, a controller is needed, which will still be released in 50 thousand p.

In general, I would like to hear tips on choosing equipment and access points.

CISCO RV 345?

2 Replies 2

michael.pammer
Level 1
Level 1

Stay away from Cisco Small Business products.

Why? Just an example:

I changed some of my customers to Cisco small Business Routers.

As Long as you use only primitive Standard Features you might be lucky. But every 40 $$ router can do that too… If you Need something a bit more (still inside feature list or spec from Cisco e.g. VPN, Static Routing, load balance) you might fail as the Firmware / the product is not able to do the Job. Unluckily you are never sure, if you make a config failure or the Firmware just does not do what you set in the config… Only if you are able / willing to spend the time to use a network analyzer , you will find out that there is obviously a Firmware bug … 

Support does not exist beside warrenty Exchange, but this does not help you as the replacement router will have the same Problem...

You are even not able to report a Firmware bug, as Cisco is not interested in it... "Sorry, we do not support that(receive bug reports)  without a contract, but as you are still within warrenty replacement timeframe,  you can do a warrenty Exchange..."

Conclusion: stay away as this part of Cisco is not that what you expect , the Name Cisco suggests something different..

If you do not believe, look in the bug report list of your mentioned RV345 … but Keep in mind there are only the "accepted" Bugs from "qualified" People = not technically qualified, but who have a contract with Cisco... all others are not even able to report... so most Bugs info will never make it to the 3rd Level support... 

Still remaining with 2x RV325 and 2x RV345 ...

Sorry, a Cisco demotivated Michael

So Michael we all want to know what you recommend?

I run a Cisco RV340 router and a Cisco SG300-28 switch in layer 3 mode.  I have the RV340 router setup in a separate VLAN for just internet traffic.  I have 3 local VLANs which are routed by my layer 3 switch.  I have static routes running on all these VLANs because I have networks assigned to every VLAN.  I also have 3 Cisco WAP371 wireless units with 2 SSIDs one being a guess wireless network.  So I don't know what you mean Michael?  I don't know any $40 SOHO router that will do this.