cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Where do I find whitepapers or manuals that provide details about QOS and VLAN?

stevedutton
Level 1
Level 1

I have obtained a Cisco RVS4000 router and I have looked at the Admin manual to see how to setup QOS and VLANs.  The problem is that the Admin manual only tells you what to do but provides no definition, theory, or guidance on what the terms are or how they work such as what "COS", "DSCP", and "Port" are, and why I would use it versus the other.  The manual 'assumes' that you know all of these terms and provides no references or background on them.

I assumed that I could set the "Trust Mode" to "port" and make a priority setting for each port and that would establish which port receives priority over the other.  I have two laptops connected, one to port 1, one to port 4.  I set the one on port 4 to "4" priority and the one on port 1 to "1" priority.  I then ran a network speed test using www.speedtest.net .  Whichever computer starts first runs the fastest.   I expected that if I started the computer on port 1 (priority 1) and then started the one on port 4 (priority 4 which is the highest), that I would see the one on port 4 run at the highest speed and the one on port 1 slow down.  Again, that is not happening, whichever one starts first runs the fastest.

The above is really all I want the RVS4000 to be able to do in terms of QOS.  I want the network of computers that will be tied into one port to have priority in terms of bandwidth and connectivity over the network of computers tied to the other port.  Any direction as to what I am doing wrong or how I should be setting this up?

0 Replies 0