Views
Helpful
Replies

WRV210 not connecting to small switches and NAS

matt.something
Level 1
Level 1

Hi,

I've just bought a couple of WRV210 routers to use at a couple of home offices. They connect into the RV042 in our office fine. However, with both of them we seem to be unable to connect the LAN ports to standard switches, an NAS device and a powerline hub.

All of the LAN ports give good connections to PCs, Laptops and IP phones. They will also connect without any problem to a SR216 16 port switch. However, they will not connect to the following:

• EZXS55W 5 port switch
  • Buffallow Link Station (NAS)
  • Cisco Poweline 4 port switch

Each of these devices will connect to the network without problem if I first link them through the loop out port on the IP phone, or through the SR216 switch.

As I'm getting the same symptoms with two different routers - both on the latest firmware, I'm wondering if this is some sort of "feature" that I need to deactivate.

Any advice?

Matt

8 Replies 8

abudef000
Level 1
Level 1

Hi,

I have the same issue with WRV210 connected to WRP400 and Synology DS210j. Check this video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_SDzd77DY50

I also purchased the WRV210 after tons of issues trying to do VPN with the standard home Linksys equipment.   These issues started not long after Cisco took over Linksys, because prior to that I had no issues with my old Linksys routers/WAPs.  They were the most solid products ever.   Anyhow, I paid like $120 at BestBuy for this WRV210, double the price of any other Linksys, Dlink, or other WAPs, thinking business grade meant better quality.  Lo and behold, however, I have been having weird intermittent issues with this WAP since.  Upgrading the firmware makes no difference.  Types of problems observed:  dropped wireless connections, dropped connections to the internet even though the cable-modem is up and connected, long periods of unavailability across all wireless devices in my home, etc. etc.  Nothing on the logs, nothing on the device indicating what is going on.     This is frustrating, and going to the support site is not much help, Cisco doesn't seem to care unless you're a business spending $100K, this gets little attention or care.  It really seems this is a hardware problem, low-grade parts or low-grade coding of those parts, I dont know.   But because I use Cisco wireless at work ($12,000 solution) I KNOW this is a sub-grade experience.    Linksys, a trusted brand no more?   Thanks Cisco.

My name is Eric Moyers. I am a Cisco Small Business Support Engineer. I was going through the Community Forums here and noticed your post. I can honestly say that we here at Cisco take all of our customers issue very seriously small or large. My current postion is only focused making sure that the customer has a satisfactory experience when using our products. This goes for all of the Engineers in the Small Business Support Center.

For any one who is experiencing issue with our products and they do receive an answer here in a satisfactory time frame. Please, Please call our Support Center and open a ticket. We are open 24 hrs a day 7 Days a week.(including all holidays). That number for North America and most English speaking countries is 1-866-606-1866. For anyone else please check this list for a center near you.

www.cisco.com/go/sbsc

Mr. Smith

First let me make sure that I read your posting correct.

You have two WRV210's that you purchased. You can connect them(WRV210s) into the RV042 in your office just fine. But when you connect the LAN ports to standard switches, a NAS device or a powerline hub will not connect to the network. But if you connect them to the pass thru port on the phone or connect them to the SR216 that is connected to the WRV210 they work on the network.

I am assuming that all of the devices are either unmanaged (Switches) or the IP has been set to match your current network scheme (NAS device).

Have I stated this correctly so far?

Which port are you connecting those devices into? LAN port 1,2,3,or 4 or have you tried all of them.

Would you send me the Serial Number and MAC address of your two WRV210's. Please send to emoyersatciscodotcom.

Thanks

Eric Moyers
Cisco Network Support Engineer
1-866-606-1866

I have finished running my lab with the WRP400 and the WRV210. I did not get the same results. showed in the video posted eariler.

Let me give you a breakdown of what I did.

Pulled one WRV210 and a WRP400 from our storage area

FW for the WRV210 was 2.0.0.11

FW for the WRP400 was 2.00.20

I did a factory reset on both units to ensure there were no settings in the devices I was unaware of.

Then I connected both devices to the internet to make sure both were working correctly, independently of each other.

I also successfully connected a WVC210 camera to the LAN ports for both devices.

Then following the video that was posted above, I had the WRP connected from the WAN port into a source, which lit the WAN port. I then unplugged the cable from the source and plugged it into the #1 LAN port for the WRV210. The WAN port on the WRP400 lit up and the LAN port on the WRV210 lit up.

Most of these steps I am sure you have already completed, but I am going to go ahead and list them any ways.

Make sure your FW is up to date.

Check to see if the LAN port on the WRV210 lights up when connected to anything else.

Reset units back to factory and then retry test.

If you continue to have issues or the steps that I outlined at the end do not help. Please call into the Support Center as I listed above and let one of our agents get a case opened for you and do some further troubleshooting.

Eric Moyers
Cisco Network Support Engineer
1-866-606-1866

I am sure that this is not a firmware problem but a problem of an integrated switch. I tried to connect the router with Synology Disk Station DS210j and Linksys WRP400 (all devices with the latest firmware). The problem is that when you connect these devices to any LAN port of WRV210, there is no recognition of plugged device at all and LED light does not come either.

This issue is not related with all devices generally. We have found the problem only with DS210j and WRP400.

Serial numbers of clearly erroneous pieces belong to new Cisco brand WRV210 (GSZXXXXXXXX). Previous Linksys brand WRV210 (SN MS6XXXXXXXX) doesn’t have this problem.

Dear Mr. Moyers,

I can confirm that this is an issue with the WRV210 routers, at least the latest models, I bought two of them last month.

- they seems to NOT work on LAN ports with Lenovo Thinkpad laptops (T60, X301, etc...). They have worked with an ASUS laptop which i used to configure them, also with a Dell latitude laptop.

- they are NOT working with HP V1910 switch (formely 3Com), but are working with D-Link switcth.

Really need an assistance on this.

Thanks.

Hi,

I´ve bought new WRV210 last week – manufactured December 2010 (serial GSZ144XXXXX). Synology DS210j connects well with this one! Try to return your affected unit back to store and ask for the new one.

Regards,

Abudef000

matt.something
Level 1
Level 1

Hi,

Having played around with this a bit further, I think I have determined that the LAN ports on the box I have only connect to full duplex connections, and not the half duplex connections used by some consumer level equipment - which seems strange given the price and market positioning of this box.

Matt