cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

WRVS4400N v1 - Losing connections

brian
Level 1
Level 1

We brought in a new Dell Inspiron laptop and I have connected it to my WRVS4400N's wireless network.  Connecting it initially is never a problem, but after a random period of time (1-30 mins), I lose connection to the network.  Windows Network and Sharing Center shows "Limited Access" to the network, and no access to the Internet.

From here, I can click the "!" icon for "Limited Access", and the Windows Troubleshooter eventually reestablishes the connection. 

Are there any known issues with the WRVS4400N not working with certain types of NIC's or OS's or anything else?

What could cause this?

5 Replies 5

micbaker
Level 1
Level 1

Brian,

I am having a similar issue with the WRVS4400N, V2 dropping connection to the WAN.  At no set interval, the Router stops talking to the cable modem.

I have set up a constant ping script to ping my routers address 192.168.1.1 and its WAN address as well as a DNS server.  I have tried several ping delay times but always the the WAN address and DNS packets seem to stop replying back at no set time period.  May go overnight or may stop several times a day.

I can reset the cable modem and all comes back, or I can hard/soft reset the router or release/re-aquire the DHCP address and all comes back.

I have searched the web for this and it seems to be an issue that alot of folks are experiencing.  My question, why has CISCO not addressed this?  Even though it is a "Small Business Router", should not be reason for them to overlook it.

I have upgraded the latest firmware to 2.0.1.3 with no luck.  2.0.0.7 and 2.0.0.8 had the same issue.

Cisco, please fix this issue!

Hi Brian

I had the exact same issue last year with my V1.

Give them a call and they send you out a V2 which cured the problem straight away.  Not sure why you're having that problem with yours though Michael.

Cheers

Based on what your describing about the wan losing connection, have you checked the logs to see if there is a syn attack or something on the wan side that would trigger the Wan to shut down.

David,

When I informed TWBC Tech Support that no matter what I had connected to their cable modem, Router, PIX or PC, the WAN link always went to sleep.

I finally convinced them to replace the cable modem and all seems to be solid, so far (knock on wood).

Perfect,

Glad to hear Michael.  Thanks for the feedback.