Views
Helpful
Replies

WRVS4400WN & QuickVPN - Remote Gateway is not responding

Jetonline
Level 1
Level 1

Hi,

Can anyone help me make QuickVPN work?? I tried these router looking for a simple SBM VPN solution and have wasted clearly more time than it is worth. Spoke to Cisco who said there is "No" support for these routers so I am stuck with the ones I have already deployed.

I am attempting to do a simple client VPN connection from a Win7 or XP notebook to remote VPN router using a 3G connection, By turning all Windows firewall "off" I can connect it whilst connected to a Lan cable within the network, but never been successful external to the network to any of the routers deployed at different sites!!

When attempting to connect via 3G when you view router GUI the connection says "online" however can never ping remote network and at the verifying stage always falls over with the error "Remote Gateway is not responding".

I have read all of the article's that talk about running in compatibility mode, run as administrator etc. etc. all of which produce the same results.

Is there any special configuration required in the router other than U/N, P/W and the "active" tick box? Clearly everyone else is having the same problem, however am I ever hopfull I am missing something before I throw them in the Bin and buy another brand of router that "just" work (as they should)?

Can anybody please help me to make these work?

Thanks in advance

Lonnie

9 Replies 9

mpyhala
Level 7
Level 7

Hi Lonnie,

It sounds like the router is configured and functioning properly. The problem is that the QuickVPN client is pinging the router at the final stage of the connection and something on the PC is blocking that ping reply. The router replied to that final ping so it thinks it is connected. The PC never received the response so the client shows "Remote Gateway is not responding" error. Turn off or remove all antivirus or third party firewall software. You can also try booting in Safe Mode and connecting.

Thanks mpyhala,

I will try same mode to prove a point. Howeve it does connect when on the lan? One could sumize that it is maybe using a different Windows Firewall policy. Can anyone confirm that it does not work with the firewall disabled? Can anyone confirm what ports exactly need to be opened if it does not work with the firewall off?

It is a pity Cisco dis not take some responsibility for the product they produce and sell and provide some accurate documentation on what is required other than the "Install the QuichVPN client and it works guide"

Thanks for taking the time to reply, it is more than Cisco will do they won't even talk to you.

Regards

Lonnie,

If it connects on the LAN but not the WAN then that indicates that some firewall or antivirus is blocking pings from networks other than the LAN. In some cases you may need to edit the Windows firewall to allow ICMP in and out. With Windows Vista and Windows 7 the Windows firewall MUST be enabled. The Windows IPSec service is tied to the firewall and if the firewall is off, IPSec service is also off. QuickVPN uses the Windows IPSec service to establish the tunnel.

QuickVPN uses ports 500, 4500, 443 and 60443. In some cases people have a firewall in front of the SMB router and opening those ports allows the QuickVPN connection.

Make SURE that you have the latest firmware for your router as well as the latest version of QuickVPN (1.4.2.1) Older versions of QuickVPN have issues with newer versions of Windows.

I am curious about your comment about support. Is your router out of warranty? How long have you had it?

I have a 32 bit Win XP laptop and a 64 bit Win 7 laptop sitting side by side and connected to a WAP that, in turn, connects through ATT 3G to a RVS4000 Cisco firewall.

The 32 bit Win XP laptop connected first time, every time with QVPN installed. FWIW, It also has Kaspersky AV and Windows firewall enabled.

The 64 bit Win 7 has never connected and I have tried a number of suggestions over the last week.  This QVPN situation is well past the point of being cost effective for me so I would appreciate your sharing anything you find out.

Thanks

Hi CURTIS,

Yes I also have Win XP 32bit, Win 7 32+64bit and still have had no joy. I am likwise almost past the point of costing more than it is worth, only, unfortunatly I have about 4 of these things I have supplied and it will be a costly excercise to put them in the bin and replace them, but may have to be done yet.

Will certainly share anything if I have any success.

Regards

Lonnie

Again thanks mpyhala,

Yes lates firmware and latest QuickVPN client. Yes brand new routers.

I have got Firewall enabled and QuickVPN is added as a program, however I will add exceptions for all and try again.

I am a reseller/service provider and was looking for private/SMB offering, I was pleased with the general firware and options provided, however after several routers and several clients later have not been able to get a VPN connection. I called Cisco as a last resort and they simply would not speak to me?? Claimed I had to have some support package or similar number? Sorry I don't know the correct Cisco terminology but my first expirience with Cisco hasn't inspired me. Maybe you can suggest otherwise?

Regards

Lonnie

Lonnie,

The only thing that is required to get support is a Cisco User ID (Register in the upper right at cisco.com) and a valid serial number that is covered under phone support/warranty. Ask the engineer to test the connection from our lab. This is a good way to find out exactly what the issue is. If support is refused, please get the name and badge ID of the person you speak with. I strongly recommend that you try support again and post your experience here.

mpyhala,

I am in Australia if that makes a difference? I was told to go back to my distributor, which is a waste of time as they are simply a box mover and have no support knowledge at all.

Please confirm it works as you describe in Australia.

Regards

Lonnie

Lonnie,

It makes no difference what country you live in. I am in the US and I support customers in Australia daily.

Please respond if you have any issues.