cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

2 ISP Handoffs on single Router

Lee Dress
Level 1
Level 1

I have 2 ISP 50 MB Fiber/Ethernet Handoffs. 

Currently I'm using 2 881 routers one for each handoff.

These are barely sufficient if not throttling my connections right now, and certainly don't allow me to upgrade my circuits to 100 or better.

each ISP gives me a /28 block of internet addresses that I need to be able to use, and each one of those blocks needs to be able to route 0.0.0.0 back to the ISP.

I would like to know if anyone is doing this, and what equipment you are using.

I've been told by some Cisco sales support guys that I can use a 2921 with a SFP/1GE EHWIC card, and a 4 PORT Ethernet Switch card.  

I need to be sure that each subnet can route all traffic back to their respective ISP, or I'll just  go with 2 smaller routers

I apologize if this was discussed before, I could not find anything when I searched.

Thanks in advance,

Lee

3 Replies 3

Joseph W. Doherty
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Attachment might help in selecting a suitable router.

Thank you.

From that chart, what I'm using is sufficient for basic Ethernet handoff,

but is there a router that can handle 2 ISP handoffs?

My Current routing on each router is basically like this:

ISP ------- FE/0------ROUTER------FE/1-----ISP /28 block

ip route 0.0.0.0 "FE/0 address"  for /28 block from ISP

I'd like something like this:

ISP-A ---GE/0                     GE/1--- ISP A /28 block

|-----ROUTER -----|

ISP-B ----GE/2                    GE/3--- ISP B /28 Block

IP route 0.0.0.0 GE/0 address for ISP-A block

IP route 0.0.0.0 GE/2 address for ISP-B block

Of course I would need 4 ports for something like this, but the routing to each is the most important piece.

Disclaimer

The Author of this posting offers the information contained within this posting without consideration and with the reader's understanding that there's no implied or expressed suitability or fitness for any purpose. Information provided is for informational purposes only and should not be construed as rendering professional advice of any kind. Usage of this posting's information is solely at reader's own risk.

Liability Disclaimer

In no event shall Author be liable for any damages wha2tsoever (including, without limitation, damages for loss of use, data or profit) arising out of the use or inability to use the posting's information even if Author has been advised of the possibility of such damage.

Posting

From a packet forwarding aspect, number of ISPs (when not pulling full Internet tables), or interfaces, doesn't make much of a difference, it's the aggregate volume of packets being forwarded that's usually most important.

On ISRs, module port can be limited by the module interface (and can be difficult to find what those interfaces actually support).

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card