cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

2801 router w/cellular card

Jon Moots
Level 1
Level 1

I have a 2801 router with a HWIC-3G-cdma card that I have inherited from a predicessor. My problem is that I have no idea how to use a cellular card on a router and need to get this thing up and running. Does anyone have an example config that I can see or point me in the right dorection to get this up and running?

I have the cellular card set up as Cellular0/1/0 on the interface, I assume that that was done by default, and it has an IP address. The Static Route of 0.0.0.0 0.0.0.0 Cellular0/1/0, in the config with only 2 other interfaces as being direct connection. But that is as far as I recognize. Do I need to set up a router protocol? Which one? How do I use the cellular card? Do I need to have an ISP connection?

HELP!

Anything would be greatly appreciated.

-Jon

1 Reply 1

Richard Burts
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Jon

Parts of the config sound fine - as far as you have given us. I do not have a config to refer to but my memory of seeing ISR routers with the cellular card is that there was also a dialer interface configured. Is there a dialer interface in your config?

The static default route pointing to the cellular could be right, especially if you are not running a dynamic routing protocol. If there are 2 other connected networks they could use the cellular connection to get access out. Is there NAT or PAT configured using the cellular IP address?

You do not need a dynamic routing protocol as long as your static default route works and as long as the provider is routing back to you.

You certainly do need an ISP connection, but that is what the cellular card provides - as long as the cellular account is paid up and still active.

HTH

Rick

HTH

Rick
Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card