cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

2811 Router no CF no software, help?

jrsq1231
Level 1
Level 1

I recently purchased a 2811 router for use in building out my home lab.  There was no CF card, and when I use the console it doesn't boot any software, only shows rommon> prompt.  Is there a way I can download software to a USB and boot it up from a USB?  I have searched around I keep seeing mention of a 15.1.4M12a IOS but I can't find it anywhere, and don't know how to put it on the router.  I bought this router and a Catalyst 3750 switch to learn about Cisco stuff so I am completely new to this.  Thank you!

7 Replies 7

Leo Laohoo
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

@jrsq1231 wrote:

Is there a way I can download software to a USB and boot it up from a USB?

Post the boot-up process of the router.  
There is a particular version of the ROMMON which supports USB ports but this was not widely circulated to the general public.  

However, I think the odds are stacked against you.  You're better off looking for a CF (maximum size 16 Gb & formatted to FAT16) and hope the router will support it. 
NOTE:  Cisco routers are very sensitive to what brands/size of the USB and CF used.  If one brand does not work, try another.

Thank you for the response.  It would seem I have an even bigger hurdle than that now.... After looking around for the actual software that is supposed to be on the router, I found it on Cisco's site, but I have to buy a service contract just to download the software that is supposed to be on it??  That seems really crazy to me.  I'm not looking for support, or upgrading to bigger better... I'm just looking for the last software for it that was released before it become unsupported, yet I still have to pay for it...

@jrsq1231 wrote:
I found it on Cisco's site

Ok, so you found the file in the Cisco website, right? 
What is going to happen if you search for the exact filename in Google?

Martin L
VIP
VIP

If I remember correctly for my old 2801, USB boot feature was unavailable; I mean USB port was introduced here but not fully used yet. I had to get CF card reader with USB cable (all in one reader is ok) and use CF card to copy/paste image from laptop to Card. 

Unfortunately it is hard to get software for old and used stuff; you should contact seller if they still have IOS.  Try it searching it online.  I don't think you can still get IOS from Cisco even if you have valid service agreement and buying IOS is not possible or very expensive.  I couldn't find 2800 routers on https://software.cisco.com/download

Regards, ML
**Please Rate All Helpful Responses **

@Martin L wrote:

USB boot feature was unavailable

All of my ISR G1 routers (2800/3800) can boot and read from USB -- even from ROMMON. 

The ROMMON software needs to be upgraded to, a minimum, T10.  This feature was "hidden" because even in the ROMMON Release Notes it was only mentioned in one sentence.

I did find the software that everyone said was "the" software to get for this router...the last "golden" version, which was 15.1(4)...something like that.  I found it under the 1800 series routers... its old but should still work, I just can't download it.  I feel like I bought this router (off OfferUp so I can't go back to a seller...it was "third-hand") for nothing.

Joseph W. Doherty
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

As Leo already described (a later) ROM boot software version does support (some - like Cisco's branded) USB sticks for booting.  It was available for download.  (Getting a copy, w/o a support contract, and considering the age of the platform, will be a problem.)  Don't recall if any of the later delivered 2811s were provided with that version.

However, you should have sufficient on-board flash (if still good) to hold an IOS image.  USB was useful to provide another method to copy an IOS version onto the router.

Yes, you bought the router, but the software is provided under license, which typically doesn't (legally) "transfer" with the router itself.  So, you're correct, w/o purchasing a license, obtaining the software will be problematic.

Software licensing also applies to your 3750 too, although Cisco doesn't appear to legally pursue people using older platforms, non-commercially, for personal learning.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: