Views
Helpful
Replies

3845 - 4-Port Switch Module Question

iPhrankie
Level 1
Level 1

Hello Everyone,

We're getting a new T3 connection and a Cisco 3845 router with a HWIC-4ESW (4-port switch module).

Would it be possible to simply plug in 3-4 devices into the 4-port switch and assign them public IPs that we get from our provider?

We do something similar already. We have a 2811 with a T1 connection. The 2811 has two built-in ethernet ports. I plugged in one server on one port and other server on the other port. Both have public IPs and everything works great.

Would having the 4-port switch on the 3845 just give me additional ports to plug in more devices?

Thanks.

2 Replies 2

Leo Laohoo
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

The HWIC-4ESW is a Layer 2 switch. You can, however, assign each ports to a VLAN and each VLAN has their own IP address.

If you want a routed port(s), you should be looking at the HWIC-1FE OR HWIC-2FE.

Data Sheet for the HWIC-1FE & HWIC-2FE:

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/routers/access/interfaces/ic/hardware/installation/guide/fe_hwic.html

Hope this helps.

iPhrankie
Level 1
Level 1

Would the HWIC-1FE & HWIC-2FE be the equivalent of the two built-in ethernet ports on the 2811?

If that's the case, I might go with that approach. I'm familiar with configuration of assigning IPs to those type of interfaces.

I guess it would be question if the HWIC-4ESW gave me any more flexibility on bandwidth control, etc?

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card