Views
Helpful
Replies

4331 IPsec throughput with boost license

M-Square
Level 1
Level 1

Hello -

Looking for input on 4331 max IPsec throughput when boost & HSEC license installed

We have a case where two locations (both with 4331's) are having internet WAN links updated to 1Gb. The only way to attempt to get the full throughput (general wan speed and IPsec) would be to consider the boost license setup (with HSEC of course).  Does anyone know if the 4331 will be able to push ~1Gbps of IPsec throughput or even close? I'm thinking the answer is a strong no way.

Though there is a lot of documentation it seems limited on this item.  What is the real world experience out there for site-to-site IPsec throughput using the boost license?  I have another 4331 unit with the perf license and see numbers like ~47% CPU when pushing site-to-site traffic @ ~ 285Mbps.  This basically is maxing the perf license.  On the other side of this IPsec link is a 4431 and it is not even breaking a sweat, i.e. CPU doesn't even break 5%. I am trying to get a sense of what the 4331 CPU would look like using the boost license and increasing the IPsec throughput rate to try an utilize the 1Gb speeds available.

Cheers

3 Replies 3

Joseph W. Doherty
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Sorry, no personal experience on a 4331's max IPSec performance, but have you seen page 12 of: https://miercom.com/pdf/reports/20150817.pdf

Do you know If the values for IPsec throughput in this document are only with the performance license or also with the HSEC license?

I think (???) it's with IPSec not constrained, other than by platform's overall performance license.

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card