Views
Helpful
Replies

7200 IOS upgrade issue

Vijay Bhargav
Level 1
Level 1

Hi All,

I am going to upgrade the IOS of 7200 from 12.4 to 15.1(4)M10. As a process I need to upgrade the kboot image as well. The required Kboot is of 10Mb however my existing bootflash has only 9 Mb.

So just wanted to check whether will I be able to use the below configuration to load the new Kboot/IOS image.

1. Copy the new Kboot image to disk

2. copy the old kboot image from bootflash to disk

3. Format bootflash

4. change the boot bootldr to disk-newkboot image

5. change the boot system to the new IOS in disk

6. Reboot the router.

regards,

Vijay

4 Replies 4

Leo Laohoo
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

1. Copy the new Kboot image to disk

2. copy the old kboot image from bootflash to disk

This is dumb.  Go to the Cisco website and download the IOS there.  Check the MD5 hash value when complete.

I know its dumb, but I do not have enough space in boot flash ... so how do I make the router to take the new bootloader which is in disk... what I understand is once the router boots up, it will go to Rommon --> Bootflash and then disk. So I already have a old image in bootflash, which i do not want router to use.. So what would i do now, let me know my understanding is correct

The required Kboot is of 10Mb however my existing bootflash has only 9 Mb.

Ok, let's go to basic:  Does the router have an external disk port?  If it does, what format/form factor is it?  PCMCIA or CF?

Joseph W. Doherty
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Disclaimer

The Author of this posting offers the information contained within this posting without consideration and with the reader's understanding that there's no implied or expressed suitability or fitness for any purpose. Information provided is for informational purposes only and should not be construed as rendering professional advice of any kind. Usage of this posting's information is solely at reader's own risk.

Liability Disclaimer

In no event shall Author be liable for any damages wha2tsoever (including, without limitation, damages for loss of use, data or profit) arising out of the use or inability to use the posting's information even if Author has been advised of the possibility of such damage.

Posting

I recall(?) updating Kboot image generally isn't required with 7200 IOS upgrades.  Have you seen some documentation that says otherwise, or is there some special need for upgrading the Kboot image too?

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card