Views
Helpful
Replies

7204 vxr Upgrade

raj.kalra
Level 1
Level 1

Hi,

I am working on upgrading my company's routers. We have a 7200 software (C7200-IK9S-M), Version 12.4(1) which has to be replaced by a NPE-G2 engine 7200 Software (C7200P-IPBASEK9-M), Version 15.2(4)S7.

Can someone kindly guide me through the changes I need to do in the running-configuration before copying it to the new router? I am aware of the changes of ports i.e Fast Ethernet to Gigabit Ethernet. What else should configuration changes be done?

It would be really helpful if someone can direct me to a link that I could refer. 

I was looking through https://software.cisco.com/download/release.html?mdfid=268437990&softwareid=280805680&release=15.2.4M11&relind=AVAILABLE&rellifecycle=MD&reltype=latest but, I wasn't getting a clear picture.

6 Replies 6

Hi

You always need to get a configuration backup, now the most of new routers (I would like to see all of them) have Giga interfaces, and some command lines could have little changes, I suggest visit this Cisco Website to see what router accomplish your requeriments. 

https://www.cisco.com/c/dam/assets/prod/routers/cisco-router-selector/index.html#/

Once you have selected a device, I suggest verify the type of license or IOS in order to see which protocols you need to execute. Also a Cisco authorized vendor could help you. 

If you want to compare the configuration from the old and from the new device you can use this site. 

https://www.diffchecker.com/diff

Hope it is useful

:-)

>> Marcar como Ćŗtil o contestado, si la respuesta resolviĆ³ la duda, esto ayuda a futuras consultas de otros miembros de la comunidad. <<

Hey Julio,

Thanks for the reply. Actually, I already have a router which I have to use to replace the old ones. I have posted the version of both the routers in the question. I am still not getting a concrete link that I can refer to understand what commands needs to be changed between both the routers.

Leo Laohoo
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

NPE-G2 has a requires a CF. Make sure the config is copied into the CF or stored externally.

1. Read the Release Notes carefully.  Make sure the router has enough flash and DRAM. 
  2. Copy the IOS into the CF.
  3. Check and verify the IOS in the CF is not corrupt.
  4. Change the boot variable string to boot the new IOS first and boot the old IOS next. 
  5. Ensure the config-registry value is correct.
  6. Save the config.
  7. Reboot.

Joseph W. Doherty
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame
Usually newer IOS versions will convert syntax, if necessary.

I.e. try your existing config as is (although, as you mention, with interface names changes).

After the newer sup and IOS load up the older config, do a dif comparison between startup and running, and review carefully.

I tried doing that, but there are a lot of statements that come as Invalid input and many firewall rules and commands don't copy at all

Some common reasons for that. First, if you jump lots of versions, the latest might not know old syntax. This can be addressed by upgrading through an intermediate IOS version.

A second common reason, feature set differences. Even if you're running the same feature set, sometimes Cisco changes what feature set IOS supports particular features. A feature set upgrade or change might be required.

Lastly, later IOS versions also often support specific feature licenses. W/o the correct feature license, statements won't be accepted.
Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card