cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

address-family vpnv4 command not available

BrettCurtis5442
Level 1
Level 1

I've come into a new environment, and they've got a pair of old 6504s running 12.2-33 SXI10 advancedipservices.  The address-family vpnv4  command is not available.  They are running vrf lite between them on 802.1q trunks, and I'd like to convert that to label switching with MPBGP.  I would expect to set up bgp neighbors under vpnv4, but I don't get the command.  Are there prerequisites I'm missing, or is this just a feature not available in this train of software?  The command reference says the command originated in 12.2-33 SRA, so I know I'm likely just not to have it.  However, I think this version was 2011 and MPLS was well underway then.  Was there another way of doing it?

9 Replies 9

Harold Ritter
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Hi Brett,

You need the advanced feature set to run MPLS on this platform.

Regards,

Harold Ritter
Sr Technical Leader
CCIE 4168 (R&S, SP)
harold@cisco.com
México móvil: +52 1 55 8312 4915
Cisco México
Paseo de la Reforma 222
Piso 19
Cuauhtémoc, Juárez
Ciudad de México, 06600
México

I'm running advancedipservices.  I thought that was the whole feature set.

Giuseppe Larosa
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Hello Brett,

if I correctly remember from an hardware point of view you need at least a Sup720B to be able to use MPLS on C6500 platform.

You can check what supervisors you have with

show module

The first version of sup720 sup720A is not MPLS capable for limitations on the associated PFC3A.

Hope to help

Giuseppe

Show module says:

WS-SUP720-BASE

Hello Brett,

look at the submodule section and look at the part number of PFC

if you have PFC3A no MPLS available for you

For me the following

>>

WS-SUP720-BASE

should be the SUP720A the first Sup720 shipped however as explained above check the submodules to have a definitive answer.

Hope to help

Giuseppe

Yep,

it says:

1 Policy Feature Card 3 WS-F6K-PFC3A

I guess that's why no MPLS!  Thanks for your help.

Hello Brett,

yes no MPLS support on PFC3A so I am afraid you are stucked with VRF lite in your network.

Hope to help

Giuseppe

Let me ask you this then.  I realize that with the age of this equipment, it's pretty much stuck as is.  We already have plans to replace these.  I'm just curious though.  Is it just the daughter card ?  Could that be replaced or are there other issues with the Sup card, firmware, or other issues as well?

Looks like that might be the problem:

1 Policy Feature Card 3 WS-F6K-PFC3A

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card