cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Aggregate 2 WAN Links from different router.

limlayhin
Level 1
Level 1

Hi, I have 2 sites, Site-A and Site-B. Currently, both sites are connected via 2 WAN links, configured in failover manner.

(Site-A) Router-A1 <=> WAN Link 1 <=> Router-B1 (Site-B)

(Site-A) Router-A2 <=> WAN Link 2 <=> Router-B2 (Site-B)

Router A1 and A2 run HSRP at LAN interface, at any one time, only one of the router at Site-A/Site-B and one WAN link is working.

The other one is standby.

Now, the boss want to make use of both links, request to make WAN Link 1 & 2 working at the same time.

I know if 2 links in the same router, it is achievable.

But now I have 2 WAN links and 2 routers at each site, How can I do this?

10 Replies 10

Walter Astori
Level 1
Level 1

How many subnet have you in Site A ?

How many subnet have you in Site B ?

There are multiple subnet in both Site A and Site B. Does it matter?

For reference purpose, let say Site A has 10 subnets, Site B has 5 subnets. 

With route-map if you use dynamic routing protocol you can have 5 subnet on site A that can speak with 3 subnet on site B and you can have 5 subnet on site A that can speak with 2 subnet on site B. If you use static routing protocol you can divide the subnet only with route command

Hi Walter,

Thanks...

I was thinking to use Route Map and Policy Based Routing. It will achieve load sharing. 

I think I can't achieve link aggregation as the 2 links are in two different routers. It is feasible only when there is only single router. 

You can use the GLBP.

Thanks Walter. 

I was informed that if I use GLBP, L3 devices in front of the routers must be Cisco devices which support GLBP. GLBP is cisco proprietary protocol. 

As of now, L3 devices in front of the routers is Checkpoint firewall running on Nokia IPSO. Will GLBP works in this case? 

Disclaimer

The Author of this posting offers the information contained within this posting without consideration and with the reader's understanding that there's no implied or expressed suitability or fitness for any purpose. Information provided is for informational purposes only and should not be construed as rendering professional advice of any kind. Usage of this posting's information is solely at reader's own risk.

Liability Disclaimer

In no event shall Author be liable for any damages whatsoever (including, without limitation, damages for loss of use, data or profit) arising out of the use or inability to use the posting's information even if Author has been advised of the possibility of such damage.

Posting

GLBP doesn't "work" for any single device, like a router or firewall because it will "see" all the traffic is from the same MAC.

What you might be able to do is use mHSRP (if supported).

You define two virtual GW IPs and make one the active on each router (and each router is the secondary for the other).  Then you route to both virtual GW IPs.

mystic.expert
Level 1
Level 1

you need to configure igrp or better eigrp on all the routers which supports load  balancing on equal or even unequal cost path, for later use 'variance' command with right variable value.

also you will require to put on router A1 default path which will be LAN IP of router A2,  repeat same

for site B.

Joseph W. Doherty
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Disclaimer

The Author of this posting offers the information contained within this posting without consideration and with the reader's understanding that there's no implied or expressed suitability or fitness for any purpose. Information provided is for informational purposes only and should not be construed as rendering professional advice of any kind. Usage of this posting's information is solely at reader's own risk.

Liability Disclaimer

In no event shall Author be liable for any damages whatsoever (including, without limitation, damages for loss of use, data or profit) arising out of the use or inability to use the posting's information even if Author has been advised of the possibility of such damage.

Posting

As Walter suggests, if you're using HSRP, GLBP might be an easy "solution".

Additionally, if your equipment supports it, OER/PfR provide dynamic load balancing.

Previous posts have suggested the possibility of using Policy Based Routing with route maps as a way to put traffic onto the second WAN link and that is certainly a reasonable possibility. I would suggest that a more simple solution would be to configure a second HSRP group on the routers. In the first group Router A1 is active and in the second group Router A2 is active. You then would need to configure some PCs to use the address of group 1 and other PCs to use the address of group 2. This shares the load and gives you the failover capability.

HTH

Rick

HTH

Rick
Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: